HELP!!!!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I just found 4 of my tetras with little tiny white spots on their fins and bodies. What is it? I have taken them out of my 7 gal and put them in a 1 gal (that was my first tank for a betta). I dont have a disease do I? Please help!!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Little white things that look like grains of salt....its called ick or ich. It wont do any good to seperate out the ones who have it since they've all been exposed to it, probably best to treat the whole tank.

There's been lots of people who have had success with the heat and salt method of treating ich...and some success with medications. I'm not a big help with that...but you should do some searching to read what others have suggested as treatments for ich.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
It's ich and it should be treated in the main tank since the parasite has a life cycle which involves falling off the infected fish and laying eggs in the substrate. Increasing the temp will speed up the life cycle of the ich and helps rid the tank instead of having unhatched eggs that will start the cycle all over again. Salt has been helpful in causing parasites to absorb water until they burst. However, ich starts from the inside of the fish and works it's way out of a cycst, which is the white spots you see. You should pick up a general ich treatment, but read carefully as many tetras a sensitive to medications and many recommend half dosage for tetras and scaleless fish such as catfish.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Also be very careful not to combine the higher temperatures/salt with medication. Pick one or the other and if one isn't working then do big water changes and switch to the other.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
When I found the fish I was doing a complete water change (it is the first one since I have had the tank). I also change the gravel. Does that help with the ich? I didnt even put the fish back into the main tank when I saw them. Again does this help?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
a complete water change?? like 100%? And what do you mean you change the gravel?? Generally as long as you keep up with a weekly or bi weekly change of 30% or so...you dont ever need to do a change big enough to take all the fish out and. The only time I've ever done it is when I move or tear down a tank to redecorate or change out the substrate (gravel/sand). A clean tank can help prevent ick outbreaks...but I doubt cleaning your tank will get rid of it.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I didnt know about all the cleaning that was involved in the begining (till I found this site). My gravel/tank was a mess and so I figured that if I started fresh that it would be better. I know that such cleaning isnt necessary but I think that this time it was for the best. Maybe that is why I got ick. ??? I went to Petco and a lady that worked there said she was very familiar with ick and that she had it too. She gave me something called Quick Cure and says that it worked great in her tank and that they use it at the store if they have a outbreak. Is anyone familiar with this?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Just the carbon. Carbon is meant to take things like medication out of your water so its pointless to have a carbon filled cartridge and try to medicate. If your carbon is enclosed in your filter cartridge you may need to cut a slit in it to get the carbon out...

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
How do I know when to stop treating my tank for ick? I was given "Quick Cure" to use in my tank. It says that it is supposed to cure in 2 days (if not do 25% water change and add another treatment). But how do I know is it is working?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The ich is only vunerable to be killed when it is "invisible" and not in the white spot stage...so I'd definitely treat twice. Just because the white spots are gone doesn't mean the ich is gone/dead.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Yes, continue treating for a few days beyond the mfrs. recommendation. While the spots may disappear, you will want to kill the free-floating cysts. If you undertreat, they will become more resistant to the med.