Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 26, 2007
Hello fellow members
I have this red wagtail platy which i had for a month who is sitting at the bottom gasping for air. She also seems realy fat. I am thinking that she might be pregnet. I have no idea what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

May 22, 2007
if you have another cycled tank you can put her in there to have the fry. be sure to put about 50% water from the original tank if you do this though. Otherwise they'll most likely get eaten by the other fish in your tank. Some floating plants will give them a place to hide and maybe a few will survive. You really don't have to do much. Livebearers pretty much take care of it all on their own. I've had a swordtail die during fry birth though. It's pretty rough on them.

May 22, 2007
does she have a 'gravid spot' on her? Look this term up if you're not familiar with it. Could also possibly be bloat and not pregnancy. If there's male platies and female platies in the tank. They will eventually get pregnant. I'm not sure of their justation period, but it's also possibly she was pregnant when you bought her. There's more info in the livebearers forum on this.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Generally, lying at the bottom of the tank gasping for air doesn't mean she's giving birth. It sounds like ammonia poisoning, was this tank cycled? If you don't know what cycling means, take a quick look at the link in my signature below. You need to do something ASAP, so please don't delay.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Keep up with your large water changes and please please read up on cycling a tank, otherwise you will essentially be murdering your other fish slowly and painfully.