Help!

Small Fish
Feb 10, 2006
I have a 15g. tank that has been set up for a couple of years. It has a male betta in it, along with a small cory cat, an oto cat, a hillstream loach, and a few neons. Last night, I started finding fish dying...as in a pair of black neons and 3 other regular neons. I immediately check water parameters, and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. I did a water change just the same (25%) This AM, the last black neon is dead, and the betta is obviously dying, and the rest of the neons don't look great. Any ideas? The only thing new was that we'd added a few new neons (I try to keep a half-dozen) due to the old ones, which were old, having been moved to this tank from another, dying off slowly...these neons look o.k.; that is no, visible signs of problems. I added stress-coat at the same time as I added the neons...never had a problem there, but I am wondering...tank has bio-wheel filter, and temp kept approx. 76 degrees (in deference to hillstream loach; my other tank is closer to 80 degrees). This is a planted tank. Any ideas? Should I move these fish to my other tank? Don't want to risk my other tank. Am going to do another water change...just not sure what the problem is. My male betta is relatively young, and appeared quite healthy until this AM...

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
When you say not healthy, what are the symptoms? What are your exact water parameters? Is there any way a contaminant (soap, windex, etc.) could have gotten into the tank water? How long ago did you add the new fish?

Doing a few large water changes is definitely a good idea in the meantime.

Small Fish
Feb 10, 2006
I don't think any contaminants could have gotten in there, but I supposed its possible. There tests to be no nitrites, no ammonia, nitrates are right where they've been for years, etc. Fish are showing no symptoms except dying. The new neons, which aren't dead yet, were added three days ago. I added the fish, and Stress-Coat, which was out of a new bottle; I had wondered if the Stress-Coat could have been an issue? I've used the product before without incident, but this was a new bottle...

Small Fish
Feb 10, 2006
No, I did not add the water from the store to the tank. I never do, because I don't want to introduce anything.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Well, my first suspicions are the new fish brought something bad into the tank, the new bottle of stress coat was contaminated with something, or just a regular contaminate got into the water. Either way, you should up your water changes to dilute whatever is in there. Watch for any signs of illness on any of the fish, especially ich (white spots on the fish). The new fish could have easily introduced something.