Help

Apr 6, 2010
please somene help me. i have a scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp that is VERY pregnant. He/she has a load of eggs pushing her flaps that makes he swim out. instead of it being tucked in it is pushed out more than half way. there are black dots in the eggs, what does that mean? i need to know soon please, any info would help. anyone know when it may be due?

Sorry to repost this

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
her pergnancy does not guarantee viable offspring that live to adulthood. if these are anything like peppermint shrimp, the offspring hatch in a tiny larval stage. they are like plankton at that stage and never really survive in a SW community/reef tank. So do not get your hopes up unfortunately :(
in order to breed these successfully you need a highly specialized setup of shrimp rearing tanks, and special food for the larvae.
If you are really interested in it then research breeding skunk shrimp, but the babies will likely not survive so it's nothing to be worried about. your tank will be pretty happy about the extra source of food lol.

Apr 6, 2010
lol hahaha i know wht your talking about. this is like my secong cleaner shrimp to have babies. my other cleaner shrimp released her eggs and it was a shrimp buffet for my clown fish:( all the little suckers were squirming away but 6 clown fish, 2 yellow tangs and a butterfly is too much to excape from.

Apr 6, 2010
ah your right there gone. i dont know why but i left the tank lights off and like 30 minutes later the eggs were gone and there was nothing floating around, do you know why?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The cleaner shrimp release their eggs every so often. The fish usually eat them.

Skunk cleaners are hermaphrodites, but they need another shrimp to breed. You'll see eggs on them regularly.

They're hard to raise, and as Newman says, you need to set up a breeding tank.

Apr 6, 2010
lol well i do kinda got another set up but its more of a 5gal tank than my other 100gal tank. my 100gal tank is pretty much for looks and breeding but damn is it hard to take care of. my clown fish had eggs and they were so cute when they hatched. i only left for 30 minutes. were do you think the eggs might of went? and the lights were off.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the female released them, perhaps they were infertile if no other shrimp is around to act as a male, or perhaps they all hatched during that time period and she got rid of the husks...