HELP

Jazzman

Medium Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Houston, Texas
Visit site
ok...i went to my LFS and he told me i need to take out my betta from his 10 gallon tank and that the power filter will eventually kill him because of it disturbing the water. He said something about it being to big for him to breath in.....i was like WHAT? Also he said that my betta will not get along with mychinese algae eater.
IS this guy on crack? Should i be worried?

ohhh another thing....how often should i feed the algae eater the wafers and how many? And....is it good for the betta to be nippin at it every now and then?

thanks

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
honestly the only way you can tell if the power filter is too strong is if the betta is constantly struggling to move around in the tank.i have never had a problem with bettas and cae's.some cae's do develop a taste for fish slime and start attaching themselves to other fish if this does happen take the cae out right away.you should be fine.just make sure you bettas not all stressed from too much current.if it is you may want to move the betta to a bowl untill you can adjust the filter.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
YES the lfs guy is on crack. one thing he was partially right on was that bettas dont like a strong current...but as long as there is somewhere in the tank that there isn't as big of a current he should be fine.

I can't imagine the CAE would bother him. I would feed a wafer before lights out (they're nocturnal) and if its gone in the morning try two the next night.

Betta nipping at the CAE or at the algae wafers??

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
you kinda have to dig into the gravel to stir it up, shovel it up and then drop it...the pull shouldn't be strong enough to suck up any of the gravel so dont worry.

if the betta likes the wafers then it should be fine for him :)