HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kent

New Fish
Jan 28, 2004
Visit site
what should I do about all this??

what do i do pease help me

29 gal it has been up for 4 months i have 1 marroon clown
1tomato clown 1 domino 1 4 striped damsel 1 scooter blenny 1 yellow tang all my levels were good according to the local store before the move all i check myself is salt at 1.021 and ph at 8.3
appr. 7 lbs live rock my biggest fish is the tang at about 3"

RIGHT NOW THE WATER IS WHITE CLOUDY MY PH IS AT ABOUT 7.8
AND THE FISH WERE ALL RERALLY STRESSED SO I MOVED THEM TO A NIEHBORS TANK

Last edited:

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
you got all kinds of problems. first of all if you tank is only 4 months old, you stocked way too fast. second, you are way over stocked anyway. you should not have a yellow tang is a 29g tank, too small. that fish is gonna outgrow that tank in no time. did you check ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates?? 7lbs. of live rock is a little on the low side. I have a 29g and I have 46lbs. in mine with 3 fish. Not to insult because I made some mistakes starting up as well with a QT tank, but I think you should do alot of reading before putting fish back in that tank.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Overcrowded, and the bioload is forcing down pH. Your filtration is overloaded, and the resultant wastes have caused a bacterial bloom.
Your tang is too big, or will be and the damsels and clown are all 'pretty chippy', so at some point war will break out. I like damsels in general but dominos are the devil incarnate.
Not much good news there I'm afraid.

kent

New Fish
Jan 28, 2004
Visit site
i have checked all my levels myself and
ph 7.9
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrates 20
salt 1.021

also I lost my rock skipper so he won't ever have a chaance of going back.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You talk about moving - I assume you moved the tank? Did you reuse the water or make new. If you used new water did you lettle it settle for a few days - how much did you replace - 1/2, 2/3rds. Newly mixed water is pretty caustic, but most people don't notice as they only change 5 - 10% at a time. What's the pH of the new water?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You talk about moving - I assume you moved the tank? Did you reuse the water or make new. If you used new water did you lettle it settle for a few days - how much did you replace - 1/2, 2/3rds. Newly mixed water is pretty caustic, but most people don't notice as they only change 5 - 10% at a time. What's the pH of the new water?
What salt mix

kent

New Fish
Jan 28, 2004
Visit site
my water acually has came all the way around nitite 0 ph 8.3 salt1.022 nitrates at5 ppm and the thing now is the amoinia is at .5 is there something i should do or what next. can i put fish back in or will this kill them?

kent

New Fish
Jan 28, 2004
Visit site
the first water change was 20% with tap right when we moved the tank. the we did a 10 gal. with RO water. we tried to use as much of the old water as possible but end up having to to do a 20%

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You put something in there that's killed your filter bacteria , but I can't figure out what. You went from a 4 month old tank, which had cycled, with 7lbs live rock, to a tank that's now cycling? You only did effectively a 20, tops 30% water change. Presumably you were pretty gentle on the live rock, but even if you weren't this shouldn't be a disaster. Presumably you didn't get your substrate out, but no matter how messy it is, or was , this seems very extreme? Ask on wetwebmedia.com and see what they think, give a full description.
I would be loathe to put the fish in till the ammonia level at least is back to zero. How quickly this will take is dependant on how much filter bacteria is dead/alive. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what this is - I'd expect some hassles moving, but this is extreme!