Here are my test results

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Ok I just tested my aquarium. I put the Bio Spira in on Tuesday April 19th. Here are the results of my tests

PH 7.2
AMMONIA .25
NITRITE 2.0 (way to high)
NITRATES 0

My tank looks really good, its clear, and the fish look really good. But why is my Nitrite level so high???????

My last water change was April 18th. When we switched from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I would think you'd have nitrates by now. If you had nitrAtes and the nitrite was still high I think I would suggest a water change...but maybe the biospira wasn't fresh or needs some more time to work since you had such a buildup of ammonia/nitrites? Those readings are lower than they were before right?

what temperature are you keeping the tank at?

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Those readings are lower than they were before right?
My levels on everything were very high except my PH that has been pretty normal.
Yesterday was the first that I tested my nitrates cause when I bought my kit the other week it was missing the nitrates card. So yes my levels are now under what they were reading before. But the Nitrite one hasn't moved. Should I go ahead and test in a day or so?

what temperature are you keeping the tank at?
I have 3 common goldfish in there right now? (in a 20 gallon) and the temp is between 68-70 (more 70)

Ugh this is frustrating. But i'm not giving up.

Thanks for e1's help

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
I had a nitrite level that was around 2.0 just not too long ago, and honestly all I did was a few small water changes, making sure that I checked the level after each time, and it's helping. It's still not where it should be, ( just a little high ) but it's dropped dramatically just from a few water changes. Just keep an eye on it, and if you need too, try a partial water change, let it filter through, and then check your readings again. ( I also cut down on my feeding... Not sure if that was part of the problem )

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
Nitrite of 2.0 isn't bad. The bio-spira package says you might see nitrite of 2.0 for a few days. If it really bothers you, you can do a water change, but I would leave it.

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
I did do a water change yesterday. I went down to just above where the water starts flowing into the tube of the filters. (that way I didn't have to turn my filters off)

I purchased a heater last night and put that in this morning. I'm taking out my goldies and putting in some danios and I would like to get a couple mollies.

So hopefully everything will be ok.

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Ok did a water change last night and tested it just a couple minutes ago, here are my new results.

PH 7.2
AMMONIA 0
NITRITES are still at 2.0
NITRATES 20

How are these results? Are my nitrites so high because of the goldfish that are in the tank?

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
Nitrites are high because the bio-spira is still building up the bacteria colony. Give it another week...as long as it doesn't go up a lot more you will be fine.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Great that you have nitrates now :) sounds like the tank is almost cycled. I'm guessing that because the temperatures were so low before thats probably what took the tank so long to get to this point (along with the water changes of course) With the higher temperatures (not too high...say around 78?), and that biospira I'd think you'd see that nitrite peak finish pretty soon.

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Test results as of 4/24

Ok did a 10% water change and this is what I got:

PH 7.2
AMMONIA .25
NITRATE 10
NITRITE 2.0

I am taking out the goldfish today they are going into my sister-in-laws pond. My LFS told me that I can take the fish out and finish out with a fishless cycle, with no fish in there and since I put the BIO SPIRA in there I dont have to add any ammonia till the cycle is done. Is this true, or should I go get some?

My water temp is now at 78 degrees.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
biospira will only work if you have the tank stocked to capacity...it NEEDS that source of ammonia to continue working.

Are you planning on making this a tropical tank? If so...the right thing to do after adding the biospira is to stock the tank fully, so I would buy whatever fish you're planning to put in there. The remaining 2ppm of nitrite seems a little bothersome, but if you're really that worried you might try stocking the tank completely and doing another dose of biospira?

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Thank you guys/women for all your help so far. I am learning that your methods and the LFS methods are completely different, so I'm not asking the LFS for anything anymore.

I am sure I will have alot more questions to come.

But you have all been a very big help.... *thumbsups