Here is the scenerio

Oct 22, 2002
Northern VA
I broke my FW tank down. 75gal w/ Cichlids. Had it up for about 2 years, only lost a couple of corycats b/c of the devil Convict (6in). All of my fish have been given to LFS. Right now, I have taken out decor/plants/substrate.

Here's my problem. I plan on changing to SW within a few days. I have a wet/dry (will put sand in sump to help out as well) with skimmer to a UV Sterilizer for filter. I need substrate (crushed coral)/liverock/ and obviously, salt...BUT, do I need to run the cycle again since my water is "cycled water" already?

If so, then I'll probably throw a few damsels in there with the crushed coral and live rock...

Oh, and it's been awhile, I have to catch up on the board!!!

zimmerlyct Yep you will have to cycle yout tank again. Make sure you clean it right out. Every bit of substrate, water, plants ect . In other words you are starting the tank from scratch.

Once you have your tank cleaned you can start adding substrate water and live rock (The recommended ratio of live rock is 1 pound per gallon of water).

The cycle usually takes about 3 weeks, maybe a bit more but the norm is 3 weeks. Dont add any fish to help with the cycle, the only thing this does is stress the fish or kill them.

The only other thing I can say about SW is it all takes time to happen but it will happen.

Good luck with your new tank*celebrate

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Please don't cycle with damsels - just use the die off from the live rock. If your live rock is so good that you get no die off then you're cycled anyway aren't you.