Hermit Crab Poop?

Sep 15, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
This is a question and an update.

I got my first ever saltwater tank up and running. I have about 10 lbs. of live rock and 15 lbs. of base rock in my 29 gallon. I have a Red Sea pryzm skimmer, a PH and HOB filter for circulation.

I also have a blue damsel, and two perc.clowns. I got an attack of hair algea so i got 5 red and 5 blue legged hermit crabs. It was amazing how quickly they mowed down the hair algea. The only problem is now my sand i covered in, what i think to be, tons of hermit crap poop.

Do crabs usually crap alot?
If so, how do i keep my tank looking clean? I have only had the crabs for two days and it looks bad already.

Thanks for the help

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
The "poop is not necessarily all from the crabs. It could be the accumulation of detritus over time. A few brittle stars will help get rid of it.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I can say that yes, they crap a lot ! If it's grey, looks like a tube then yeah i guess it's crabs or snails. I had turbo snails and they did the job 3 times fasters than my Astrea snails, but they rampage the rock sometimes..they killed a feather duster ( my biggest ), some sponges. I prefer astrea 'cause they will not crash anything, their crap is small and is easily catched with powerheads then skimmer/filter. It is said that if an astrea fall upside dowm and his cone gets trapped in the substrate, he might never get up and he's defenseless against predators. Never happened to me. They're hardy and don't like too fool around my powerheads ( one of the turbo was sucked by one and i had guts all over the tank ).

As soon as the nearest LFS got some atrea, i'm buying a couple more.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You have options
1. Syphon out at water change time
2. Get your substrate live enough that other things disappear the poop.

In reality you will do both. You should be siphoning debris out, but at the same time when you get a truly live sand bed, you might reach a point when brittle stars, other crabs and so on are helping break this waste down.
I'd give stars a miss , they tend to starve to death in small tanks, unless you can get some brittles that will definitely stay small .Definitely get some cleaner shrimp. I'd likely get 3 of the striped Lysmata or some of the blood red ones if I had the cash (I have and I did), rather than the coral banded that can be fairly scrappy.
How much light do you have - 2 NO fluor tubes - you can always try some Zonathids?

Sep 15, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
thanks for tyhe replies guys. The crap problem has begun to get under control.

Wayne, i have two no flour tubes right now and have another set of two no tubes, just waiting to put it together. I have 1 6500k and an actinic bulb. What do you recomend i put in the two empty spots i will have. I have two 6500k laying around and i was gonna put them in there, unless you think something would be better.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well actinic light is essentially only for aesthetic purposes except for a few unusual cases. Try the 6500æs, and see how it looks. If it looks too yellow , swap one for a 15000 or similar.
2 NO , certainly 4 should be good for some zoanthids, palythoa, protopalythoa, mushrooms some others.... I have had briaerium growing ok under 2 NO in a tank, though you need to keep them near the surface