Hermit crab question

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Ok we have an issue with hermit crabs. I want some but anything about the same size as an MTS is nothing more than a snack for the GSP, and I do not want those huge ones I see in other reef tanks as this is a small tank (29gal)

Any suggestions? just buy a small one and see what happens?

Thanks in advance. OBT what hermits are hair algae eaters, I have some red and green growing on my tube worms.

And yes the anemonies are doing great in 3.3-4 WPG.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I have 1 zebra hermit and 1 general looking hermit (not sure on type) and they both destroyed my hair algae. So i know the Zebra will. He is very destructive though as in knocking frags off the rocks....other then that i have had no problems with him.

My old blue legs didn't do anything. The Scarlets seem to be a very popular choice for a good hermit....just not sure if they will do the job you want.

Hey Pure, my GSP doesnt seem to bother the hermits in my tank at all, and I have a mix of electric blues and scarlets. My GSP has been in the tank now for about 4 months and no missing hermits...matter of fact I dont think mine messes with much of anything on the tank...he just swims around waiting on his next dose of mysis and silversides.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Just got back from the LFS and picked up a few scarlets and yeah so far he is leaving them alone. I did insist on the largest ones they had. Sad to say they didn't have any zebras.

I also got a large emerald crab, a few more turbos, and a few mexican turbos. I really am diggin the design of the mexicans.

Also got my first bit of live rock, not much just enough to start a few pod piles.