Hermit crabs??

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
Will a hermit crab eat a snail for its shell?My hermit is playin with 1 of the snails in my tank. Its kinda entertaining in fact,he spins the snail around,then pokes at it with his claws. I guess he needs to move but the 2 shells i put in must be too big for him.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
he is probably trying to extract the snail to use its shell...what kind of hermit is it? left handed aka zebra hermits are notorious for killing snails....on a side note, your tank is way over stocked imo...how do you keep water quality up?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Yes, sadly if your hermit crab needs a new shell, he will probably pick your snail's. A solution to this problem is to buy an assortment of shells that your hermit crab could choose. However there is no guarantee this will work. I personally have had dozens of snails killed by hermit crabs.

Sam Reef
20 Gallon Freshwater Planted Aquarium

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
My hermit crab is an Electric blue leg and is very cool to watch.I have a few shells in there for him but i guess they arent his size yet so ill get a few more. All of my fish are very small,the largest is 2 inches in size so im not sure how my tank is over stocked.The 2 scallops i added in are for cleaning since ive been told they dont live long anyway,and since they were a great buy at 4 bucks a piece i got them.I am thinking about getting another tank for SW,looking at a 85g.You guys think its too soon to get another tank that size since im 2-3 months experience??Also what fish or inverts eat starfish??so i know for future reference.

KimandRob

Large Fish
Aug 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
The best thing to do is keep an eye on your snails, sometimes they fall off the glass or the rocks. I usually turn them over as soon as possible, if not the crab has a free shot an easy meal. I've never seen a crab attack a snail but I have seen one take his shell after the snail got stuck upside down for a while.