Hey all,Little help please?

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
Hey guys,got my SW tank up and running with a few fish in it.All is going great,test all look good. Got 3 damsels in,1 trigger a dartfish and a hermit crab.Had a coral shrimp in but he got eaten by the trigger :( anyway,i saw tonite that there was a few parts of the hermit crabs legs on the tank bottom. Im not sure but i think the trigger attacked him,he looks like he is missing a front leg and main claw.Do hermits re gain lims? and if so how long does this take,im worried i got a trouble making trigger witch concerns me in the future adding new inverts and fish.any help is needed thanks

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
triggerfish can and will eat just about anything they can, they are oppertunistic feeders.(i dont have a SW tank, but when i go fishing, humuhumu are always the first to the bait. i dont think you have a trouble maker, they are aggressive by nature, and view inverts as food..:)

your hermit crab should regenerate, providing the trigger doesnt finish it off before then. hope he makes it.:)

info bit:D: the Hawaiian word for triggerfish is Humuhumunukunukuapua'a(humuhumu for shorter) which translates into "the fish with a snout like a pig".

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
it is also the longest word in the hawaiian language :)

out of curiousity, how big is this tank? the trigger will need a lot of territory...generally triggers are not kept in reef aquariums b/c of the trouble they cause with inverts, etc

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
what compeled you to get a trigger.all triggers are aggressive and big time reef carnivores.they live for eating inverts and crunching on coral.and trigger tank should be a fish only,with all your filtration in a sump.i would look into returning that trigger or dediacte the whole tank to it.i do hope it's big too.the tank,not the fish.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Depending on the triggerfish, say good bye to the hermit crab. Aslo depending on the size of the trigger and his tankmates, you may want to say good bye to them. Triggers are the meanest saltwater fish out there and they will not hesitate to kill or consume something they want.

Sam Reef
20 Gallon Freshwater Planted aquarium

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
what?than fool should be knocked out.triggers are hardy fish and are tough to kill after they have acclimated to a healthy tank,but they are far from a begginer fish.the crab should start regrowth soon,if the experince wasn't too stressful.the limbs may not grow back at all either.do you know what kind of trigger?

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
Think they called it a grey tail trigger at the store,its not in my book,but i shoulda read the book first couse i see that all trigger will go after inverts.man,i want my money back.what are the odds of my hermit regrowing??
and since i cant trust 2 of my local fish stores,can any 1 tell me some great fish to put in my tank that will be friendly with what i got that dont get too big and are good for beginers.Need some great cleaning fish for the bottum or some great invert for it.thinking of getting a star fish to turn my sand,but not if the triggers in there,so he may leave real soon!

29g tank:
1 Dartfish
3 Damsels
1 Trigger (soon to go back)
1 Blue leg hermit crab (wounded)
1 small mini orange crab (He is so small,like the size of a nickel)

had but lost to death or trigger murder:
2 gobies (died of starvation, dam fish store lied 2 me)
1 coral banded shrimp (murderd by trigger)

Last edited:

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Cardinal fish, dartfish, gobies, small wrasses, and other damsels(clownfish) would all go fine in your tank.

Sam Reef
20 Gallon Freshwater planted aquarium

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Time to wait, wait and wait some more. You are going a to need a lot of patience soon. No more fish for a while because you will soon have algae issues.
Take the trigger back - they are good beginner fish , for bigger systems than yours. Also keep an eye on the damsels.
Instead of buying fish , buy the books recommended in other posts here.