Hey Guys, 1st Post

Nov 6, 2006
Hey there. I have been checking out this site for a long time, and I want to know what you guys think about the fish I want to put in my new 55g community tank that I'm planning on getting. I already have a 10g that I've been taking care of, and I'm very good about weekly water changes and things like that. Anyway, I like schooling fish, and I was thinking about getting something like this..

2 Blue Gouramis.
4 guppies
2 plecos
8 neon tetras
3 angelfish
6 tiger barbs

I was thinking of cycling with the 2 blue gouramis, then adding the guppies, then the tetras, the angels, and finally the tiger barbs. That way the most aggressive fish would be added last, and the smaller ones would already be adjusted to the tank and they wouldnt be affected as much.

I know that putting the angels and the tetras/guppies isnt a good idea, but i'm planning on getting very small angels so that they can grow up with the tetras/guppies and hopefully be used to them by the time they get big. Also, I know that the tiger barbs are suposed to be fin nippers, but with a group of 6 of them they will hopefully keep each other busy.

Anway, thats what I was thinking about, and i'd like to know what you all think.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Theoretically, it might be fine in a 55g. However, I would never mix guppies with any cichlid or barb. They are just too slow and vulnerable. Even if angels grow up with fish, they get more and more aggressive as they age, so IMO, even if they are fine when small, they will get worse with age. Gouramis also tend to be kind of nippy, and if you get two males, they will be territorial with eachother. I would skip the guppies in that tank and cycle it with filter media from your established 10g.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
That looks okay to me. Make sure that you don't get 2 male gouramis because they'll probably fight, even in a 55g. Also, plecos aren't all that great for cleaning up the bottom, you might think about doing 1 pleco and a little group of cories (like 4-6), instead of 2 plecos.

Nov 14, 2006
Fishers, IN
www.myspace.com
what kind of pleco are you thinking about getting? keep in mind a common pleco gets to 12+ inches and 1 alone does not have enough room in a 55G. So, be sure to get a different species of pleco! Corys or ottos would work as bottom feeders/scavengers or some loaches. The angels and guppies even if "raised" together, will not work out in the long run.
also, be sure to use media filter from your 10g and do a fish-less cycle!! If not, you will definately lose some fish...
hope this helps!

Nov 6, 2006
THank you guys for all the replies. I mostly wanted the guppies for the fry, so I can easily remove them. Also, I think you are right about the cory cats instead of the plecos (they would have been common, I've never seen one much bigger than 6-8'' so i wasnt really sure if they got to 12''). Also, I will definately use the media from my other tank to cycle it.