Hey guys, quick question

Mar 27, 2006
Hello all, I've been browsing the forums for a long time now, and I just set up my new salt water tank a couple of weeks ago, this forum has been a great help. So far things are peachy keen. However, I have a question about what this thing is in my tank:

It looks like the pink algae in the rest of my tank except for the fact that it has a sort of spiderweb covering it, and it has a hole in the center, which sorta looks like a mouth. You can also sorta see the arms of a brittle star covering the pink thing in the picture :D .

I'm having so much fun with this tank, I feel bad for my Cichlid tank!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, I guess it does look sorta like the other two green sponges in the tank. Are they good/bad?

And any idea on what kinda of brittle start that is? He won't come all the way out of his hiding spot, so I can't get a full picture.

Mar 27, 2006
It's a 29g, this tank used to be my planted community tank. Roughly 35 lbs. live rock, 25 lbs. sand. Right now the only fish I have is the barnacle blenny, then I have the porcelain crab and about 7 blue legged hermits, and of course all the living creatures on the live rock, including several fairy shrimp and the fancy brittle star.