Hey, Need Some Help

bagget

New Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Hollister,CA
Hi, I'm new to this site, and I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on a new freshwater tank that I'm starting up.

I'm going to get Cichlids and was wondering if the fish that swim at the top would bother the fish at the bottom. Also, are American Cichlids worse than African Cichlids tempermental wise? Is color better than attitude?

Thank you for all the help.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I would say American cichlids are usually less aggressive than Africans, with some exceptions. Some fish that stay near the top will venture to the bottom and vice versa so you still need to keep in mind that fact. What do you mean about color vs. attitude?

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
From what I've had in my tank in the past of cichlids, Id say the African are more agressive "in general". But remember that cichlds will fight with other ones worst then some others. Just read what fish can go with what fish. Also a large tank is suggested, with lots of hiding spots. They want to be king of the tank. So remember to keep in mind to read about them. Alot of times a few simple labs will be okay for a 55 gal. So a question is what size tank you got and remember to filter it good. And dont over stock because they will fight to the end. (just my opinion and personally run in with them for 3 years)

Dec 26, 2008
From what I've read on them, their temperament is decided by many things.

1. Other tankmates.
2. Sex of fish.
3. Size of tank.
4. Number of hiding spots.

I'm sure I have missed some, but I do know that these are all important factors. Good luck, and welcome to the world of fish keeping!

bagget

New Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Hollister,CA
Well, I want a 55 gal. tank and have searched for a little while and I am considiring getting some German Rams. From the bios i have read, they ahve less of a temper and are still fairly beautiful. What I meant was would you rather have a more mean fish for a brighter color or a slightly less colorful fish that is more tame? The Rams may be my solution to that problem.

Thanks for the help so far. Don't stop writing, please. I still haven't even gotten the tank yet, but i know which one i will get.
the basics and more. Heater, filters, lights. Build it for the fish.
I have been lookin through all of the different forums on this site and have gleaned some usefull info.

Jun 21, 2008
I know what you mean about the rams being colorful but tame, but I would not at all recommend them in a new tank, especially if you're not an experienced fish keeper. Keep doing your research. I've heard that the bolivian rams are a bit hardier, but I still don't know that they'd go well in a newly established tank. Umm, are you set on cichlids? If not, that opens up your possibilities.

joy613

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Curviceps cichlid is a mild mannered fish they aren't as colorful as the German blue rams or the Bolivian but are a little easier to come by and keep. I think all cichlids do better in a well established tank, where there is less of a chance of a mini cycle that goes undetected.

Jan 14, 2009
If you havent gotten your tank yet, focus on the size since your doing cichlids. Then start your fishless cycle.

There will be plenty of time to decide on the stocking... Ive been trying to figure out stocking for weeks while the tank is still cycling.

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
If your going with rams then your option for fish that you want with them are large. Just about any community fish will work. I too would go with the bolivians, i just like them better anyways. lol. And with most africans, i believe that the aggression is lowered if you, in crude terms overstock them.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Buy the tank, set it up, cycle it and while your cycling, go ahead and do some more research. Cichlid's are very temperamental fish. I actually had a Jaguar, Dovii (juvenille), and a Red Devil once all in the same tank and they were fine together. Most people would tell you to never even attempt this. The actually never fought and were very aggressive towards live food, and I really liked their look. My best piece of advise would be to raise whatever fish you decide to go with together at the beginning. Add them at the same time and keep the water params. where they need to be and you shouldn't have any issues.

Mike61704

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2009
www.exidous.com
i dont know if i totally agree, I had a south american chiclid that i purchased from the LFS in the "assorted chiclid" tank and it was the meanest fish i have ever had. It started tearing up my female red devil (adult) so i had to get rid of him. The africans are cool if you get alot of them and they school or shoal together.

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Let me clear up what I stated. I'm not telling you to throw a bunch of crazy fish together and expect it to work out. I'm just telling you that if your going to try something like that, then the best way to do it is to add them small and at the same time. It may, or may not work out. But just like Mike61704 said, he had a south american cichlid that was really aggressive towards a red devil. Its a hit or miss with cichlids. They are very temperamental fish.

bagget

New Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Hollister,CA
Well, I am set on cichlids. I may be an inexperienced fishkeeper, but my dad used to have some as well. He has been going along with me through this whole process and he thinks the same about getting a 55 gal. Right now we had to pay bills so we are out of money at the moment, so no nothing. When we do, I will do the fishless cycle. I was wondering about that btw. I heard that if you use a dead shrimp, it might speed up the process. is that true or made up bs?

I also have this feeling that the rams would be the right ones for me. The more i read, the more i am convinced. I have 10 fish in a 10 gal that i started off with so i at least know how to start it up a little bit. They may be community fish, but from what i've heard, smaller tanks are hard to keep regulated. I don't feel as helpless as i did with the info you have all given me and i appreciate it very much. Is there anything else i might consider such as: planted vs. non-planted, pleco type, which thermometer to get, real rocks or plastic? Stuff like that.

Jun 21, 2008
I'm standing by what I said about rams. Even if you cycle your tank, they often don't do well in newly established tanks. I've had bad to moderate luck with them, I know brian has had bad luck with them, and lotus doesn't recommend them in new tanks either. What is your local tap water like as far as pH?

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
I don't think I would start out with rams in a new tank either, but if that is what you are going to do then you need to make sure you water parameters are perfect and meticulously maintained. Rams also need places to hide or they will get more aggressive towards other fish and each other. Plants whether live or plastic and caves help them to hide and feel secure.