hey this is my first post

balafreak

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2006
joliet illinios
i have the same type of ten gallon tank as shark shak,and same fish.
im knew and looking for any advice i could get.and i was wondering what lfs
do when thier tanks become over stocked and fish occasionally become bigger?what are proper water paremeters for neon tetras,i have six of them in a ten gallon?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Read the stickies in the freshwater begginner section. They'll answer your question, plus a dozen or so more that you'll need to understand in order to keep your fish healthy. Then come back, tell us about your fish, and if you're having any kind of problem, post your water parameters, namely, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, how long your tank has been up, how you take care of it, etc.
Welcome to the tank.

balafreak

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2006
joliet illinios
what kind of fish can i stock my 10 gallon with.i want something a that kind of looks like balas or tinfoil barbs.i like the shark type look.what do you think of petco and petsmart?all my neon tetras died.my paremeters where normal for a 10 gallon freshwater tank.

Last edited:

balafreak

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2006
joliet illinios
a little bit longer than 2 hours,more around 5-6 hours.i think they had a disease.i them bought from petco with tanks full of dead fish.more than half of the
fish they werent selling do to disease so is it possiable they just didnt notice the neon tetras.and at the store they where all swimming with thier heads pointed down.my water paremeters will be on this log in a few minutes im getting ready to check my water paremeters. oh and what do fish stores do when thier tanks become over stocked?

Jul 6, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Most fish store tanks are way overstocked compared to how a tank in your house should be stocked.

I dont have any experience with this, but I'd guess that if the fish in a particular tank became to big for the tank they were in, they'd move them to a bigger tank or reduce the price on them to entice customers. At my LFS, they have a couple of large tanks that they keep the large fish in (full-grown oscars, plecos, angels, etc). Once, they even had a two-foot red-tail catfish :eek:

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
How long's your tank been set up? Did you condition your fish to your tank before moving them from the bag to the water so that you didn't shock them with a temp change?

I wouldn't put balah sharks in a ten gallon tank, it's way to small for them. You'll need a bigger tank for most shark types as far as I know, 50 gall or something like that from what I remember. I currently have a 40, but I need to up grade when I have the moola and space for a bigger tank for my balahs. Other than that I don't know what to tell you for stocking your tank.

What do lfs do when their tanks are over stock? They sell might have a sale on the fish, but usually I think they don't worry about it to much, being that the fish are being purchased and shouldn't be in the purticular tank they are in for too long, hopefully.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
FF,

They can run overstocked because they've made significant capital investments in filtration and water treatment in order to have sufficient capacity to stock abundantly.

One shoppe I frequent uses an industrial sized 6-column cannister system (we're talking 4" diameter cannisters that are 5-ft tall) that includes nitrate and phosphorus removal technology along with UV sterilization and liquid oxygen injection. They lose around $20 retail value worth per day from mortalities. Comparatively, another store I've used in the past uses only a rotating biological filtration system and loses around $200 per day in retail. Both maintain similar stocking densities (insanely overstocked for home systems), and at the shop with the UV system I rarely see diseased fish in the display tanks whereas at the other shop it's not unusual to see fish with ich or other common disease.

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Balafreak, a couple of points:

1. If fish die within hours of you getting them home, it's generally something YOU have done wrong. Either poor acclimation, poor handling in transit or poor water conditions in your tank.

2. Don't buy fish from a place with sich fish. Don't buy any fish that look sick.

3. Your nitrates are high, and you need to do some water changes.

Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
you shold read some of the stickys before getting new fish. There is a lot of very knowledgable people that have posted stuff. It will help you understand maybe where you have gone wrong or why tour water is the way it is. I will agree i think it is something you have done for the fish to die in 6 hours. Did the fish have a guarantee most stores give 5 days and half the money back.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I think you need to slow down and research before you even think about adding any more fish. You posted at 6:30 that you had neon tetras, then at 8:45 you posted that they all died and were already inquiring about something new. That's only 2 hours and 15 minutes, you really need to slow down!

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
balafreak said:
what kind of fish can i stock my 10 gallon with.i want something a that kind of looks like balas or tinfoil barbs.i like the shark type look.what do you think of petco and petsmart?all my neon tetras died.my paremeters where normal for a 10 gallon freshwater tank.
Im not understanding how all of your fish died in just 2 hours. ??? Also what do you mean that your parameters are fine for a 10G FW tank. Parameters dont change with the size of the tank. ??? I think that I am confused. And MOsborne05 (and who ever else said it) is right that you need to slow down and do some searious research before you stock your tank again.

Dont take this too harshly. We are just trying to help.