Hey ya'll...

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I just joined today after lurking for a some time now. I'm just getting started with aquariums. My wife bought me a 29 gallon tank for Christmas; this is something I've been meaning to buy for nearly 20 years, so better late than never. Now my poor beta won't be so lonely, I guess.

I set my tank up yesterday. Hardest part was washing 20 pounds of river rock out in the cold weather. I had planned on building a stand (even got a great idea from right here on this forum). I decided to go ahead and purchase a stand rather than attemp to learn some wood-working skills. Maybe I can do that next time...

Anyway, I'm just getting started and am hoping to learn a lot from you guys.

Tom

bsmall05

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2006
Newport News, VA
welcome to the tank!
sounds like your off to a great start, what are your plans for the new tank?
some things to remember about MFT...
- no question is a dumb question (unless its in a sticky)
- MFT'ers know what they are talking about but arent the fish keeping bible. take what info you can, and go with what works for you.
- we LOVE pics!

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Thanks for all the welcome messages. I'll start putting up some pics as soon as I can; I post way too many pics on the other forum I frequent so I'm sure the same will happen here.

I have not started to cycle my tank yet. I will probably buy 2 or 3 fish this weekend to start the process and get my nitrate level up a little bit.

So far my levels are:

Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 0 (we have very soft water here)
Alkalinity: 300
pH: 8.4

I'm working on decreasing the pH and KH and raising the GH. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Also, about how long does it take the water in a 29 tank to become clear after it has been added? Mine is still pretty cloudy...sorta whitish looking.