Hi everyone.. new here and hoping to get into salt water

Jul 13, 2009
Hey everyone.. I have pretty good experience with fresh water aquariums. But always wanted a salt water tank.

I did start one a couple years ago which did not last very long. I went against advice from friends.. they told me the bigger the tank the easier to maintain. I was on a budget and was bored so I bought a 6 gallon eclipse tank and a couple fish.

Let me tell you those poor fish did not stand a chance. The biggest mistake I made was that I kept adding salt in the water I added not even thinking that salt doesn't evaporate with the water!

But anyhow.. I'm ready to learn things the right way and hopefully the community here can help me decide what size tank, what kinda set up, etc etc would be best for me

Thanks!

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
I use a 12 gallon and that is my first experience with saltwater. But do not rush into it, read read read and when u think u know everything, read more. Don't constantly be finding out that u did the wrong thing right after u did it. Take ur time and be prepared to dedicate at least 1 hour a day to it.

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks

So I think I've decided to go with a BioCube 29 with the optional protein skimmer to start off. I'll buy the equipment soon and pause while I decide on substrate setup.

Then when I figure that out I plan on adding live rock and some cheap/hardy fish to get the tank cycled properly for a few months..

Ultimately I'd like to have maybe 4-5 fish, 1-2 corals, and some shrimp/misc critters?