Hi guys, something is happening to my fish...

Sup3rman

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2006
Ok guys so i have a 55 gal. tank with 5 goldies 3 ryukins, 2 pearl scales, along with 7 glofish, they have been in my tank for a bout 3 months now and recently i have notice that all 3 ryukins are starting to hang out at the top the tank when nobody is nearby, they only come at me when i am about to feed them. Is this normal?? my water condition is pretty good, everything is at 0 accept for the nitrate at 40. I change my water about 30% once a week. i feed my fish 3 times a day with small amount each time. Am i doing anything wrong? what is happenening to my goldies? i am starting to notice that the smaller pearl scale is also hanging at the top too now... i am worry guys :(

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
well as the goldies get older that tank might be a little small for them with those other fish im not real sure and 40 ppm seems a tad high maybe u should do a bigger water change just every once in a wile to keep those under control.keep up with the water changes maybe do a big one every once in a wile it should all work it self out

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Ideally, you want to keep the nitrates below 20 -- the lower, the better. What sort of filtration are you running on this tank? Do you have any aeration? Are the goldfish acting normally otherwise? How about the danios? What temperature do you have this tank set at?

5 goldfish in a 55 is fine as long as maintenance is kept up.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
and fish technically dont even need to fed 3 times a day unless thier growing. it causes to much waste buildup.
all you need to do is feed maybe once a day about the size of each fishes eye put together.
and it may not seem very much, but fish will eat till they die from eating, thier just not capable of understanding that because in the wild food is harder to come by.

and like said goldfish get big and its sad when people keep them in bowls or overcrownd them.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
As stated above, you are feeding them far too often. Only growing fish or fry need so frequent of feedings. With adult fish you can feed once a day or even once every other day. I feed mine daily but skip a day every couples days. Just like humans, fish can get overweight, if they are overweight they may be having trouble swimming. With so many goldfish in that tank, you will probably have to step up your water changes a bit to keep those nitrates down. Make sure the water is well airated and filtered as well.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
How big are these goldfish? It is not uncommon for goldfish to be fed at this schedule until they reach at least 6" or so. They are very fast growing fish and require regular feedings to reach their potential. I tend to feed most of mine 2X/day and fast them on Sunday. They also get large water changes at least twice weekly. :)

Sup3rman

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2006
Seleya said:
Ideally, you want to keep the nitrates below 20 -- the lower, the better. What sort of filtration are you running on this tank? Do you have any aeration? Are the goldfish acting normally otherwise? How about the danios? What temperature do you have this tank set at?

5 goldfish in a 55 is fine as long as maintenance is kept up.
I have a canister filter that is good for a 100g tank along with a bubble wand about a foot long. all the fish act normal when i feed them and their fins are all spread out normally.

The largest of the goldies is about 3-4 inches long. the smallest, my little pearl scale, is about 2 inches long.

I will try to increase the wc from 30% to 50% weekly now to see if that help.