Hide I dead?

Jul 16, 2004
Visit site
Hi there,

Yesterday we bought a second Betta to give away to a little friend as a birthday gift. We placed it next to our Betta (Hide) just for the time being (separate tanks). A few hours past and we noticed that our Betta (Hide) was just floating there vertical, motionless, nose in the rocks at the bottom of the tank.

Assuming the best, I tried giving him a nudge... nothing

I tried the old fishing trick to revive a fish, I ran him back and forth through the water... nothing

I took him out of the water entirely... nothing

We did notice he wasn;t eating for the past few days, but he was still swimming arouns as spry as ever.

Did I give Hide a premature flush? Was he just overfed possibly.. and a bit lathargic?

(I quicky ran out and got Chloe a replacement Hide, we affectionately call Hide II. Hide II is doing quite well ?:)

Oct 22, 2002
Sounds like he may have had an internal infection, and the added excitement just overdid it. He probably would have died in a day or two anyway. Sorry to hear it. Glad you got a new betta. In the end it was really your fault. I've had males that feed well even when I can tell they have dropsy, and the next day they are dead by the time I turn off the light.

Jul 16, 2004
Visit site
You are probably right with it being our fault. It is our first Betta and we have learned so much, but too little too late for poor Hide I. I feel a bit bad now that I read all of the "gadgets" that can be used in a Betta tank. When we picked Hide I up from the store, they gave us a 1.5 gallon tank (rocks, 1 plant, water conditionier) and they said that's all we would need. They also suggested we use the pellets to feed him, 6 a day they said.

I thought I was going the extra mile by not using tap water. I used our purified water with each change. This site has made Hide II's life quite a bit better I think.