HIGH AMMONIA LEVELS 8.0PPM+ HELP!!!

Sep 20, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
I just started a 20 Gallon tank about 3 weeks ago. I know ammonia is natural in the cycling process but not in that high of a level I have to persicula clowns and 2 domino damsels and I'm suprised they're still alive I've tried using seachem stability and ammo-lock and a few others I had to change all my water about a week ago because my fish were about dead I also have about 15lbs. of live rock...??? umm... has anyone had a problem like this if so please help... should i just keep detoxifying the ammonia and wait it out even if it the fish don't make it through the hurricane??? PLEASE HELP....

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You have a problem my friend. First off, you should let the tank run with the live rock for a few weeks before adding anything. When you do add anything dont add 4 fish! With the rock still curing and the fish giving off waste of course ammonia is in the aquarium. My recommendation is to get the fish out of the tank, and wait a full 3 weeks. Test the water again and add 1 fish if ammonia is zero-you should also be testing nitrite.

Good luck

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
it will kill the fish and some of the stuff on the LR...do some water changes to keep the ammonia down and get the fish out of there because as sam said, they are part of the reason you're ammonia is so high but mostly it is really unhealthy for them

Sep 20, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
I Took about 50% of the water out and made a ghetto fish bucket for my fish with heat and an airstone... I also cleaned up as much of the crushed coral and sand that i could my ammonia down to about 6.0 or 8.0 ppm now... i have the filter on full speed in the tank. Do you think if I wait this out things will be okay what should my next step be...? THANK YOU so much guys my fish seem a lot happier to...