High Amonia levels?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
My tank is showing significant levels of ammonia and its been over 1 week since I started the cycling. Is that normal? I even used BioSpira but there are still levels of ammonia and nitrite in the water.

should i use some sorta ammo-lock or neutralizer for the ammonia?

thanks

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
It can take 4-6 weeks for your tank to cycle. Only use ammo-lock if there are fish in the tank. All it does is turn ammonia to a less toxic for fish. No fish, no need. Your ammonia will continue to rise until the bacteria convert it to nitrite - so a nitrite spike should be coming soon, then a nitrate spike.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
hmmm thanks guys. My ammonia level actually increased from last week's readings which I found strange. I thought biospira was supposed to cycle it instantly...but maybe theres too much ammonia for it to handle right now.

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
yeah, I've never used/bought bioSpira either, but everyone else on this site swears by it. How did you start your tank if you don't mind my asking? in time table format would be most helpful. what are your readings now? Are there any fish in the tank? Thanks, can help you out the best with more info.....

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
ammolock products are a waste of money for a healthy tank. Thats why you go through a cycling process so you dont have to deal with ammonia.

If you have a fresh sample of biospira, and follow the directions, I've never heard anyone say any differently than it works. There is a thread debunking some of the things that have been said about it, it doesn't work miracles...but almost...and only if you use it right :) Its possible that your biospira was past its expiration date, or wasn't refrigerated correctly...any number of things. Plus...if there isn't some ammonia for it to consume within a day or two of putting it in, then it will probably die off.

Are you trying to do a fishless cycle with biospira?? Or did you put the biospira in and add fish at the same time?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Hi guys..thanks for taking time to answer my questions..

kushiro - I started my tank 3 weeks ago with some used gravel and biofilter that I cleaned. I let it sit for about 2 weeks with the filter running and then I added some biospira and 2 dwarf gouramis in. I also added 2 plants and 2 shrimp.

My current readings show significant amounts of ammonia, not dangerous yet. Also my KH and GH are really low, theres no buffering the water apparantly. Ph is acidic..below 6.0

All my fish, plants, and shrimps are still alive. But worried about low pH and amonia.

Froggy - I'm doing a fish-in cycle with biospira.

I did notice that my filter pad is extremely dirty after only 2 weeks. I have the Eclipse System 3 with the carbon filter pad and biowheel combo. I'm considering changing the filter pad and adding a new one in...do you think that will get rid of the useful bacteria that might be living in the filter pad?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
yes...dont change your filter pad, when you do a majority of the beneficial bacteria will go with it. If its that dirty...next time you do a water change rinse the cartridge in the tank water that you're going to pour out. That should be enough of a rinse for it and you shouldn't lose much (if any) bacteria.

As far as the pH going up and down...it could mean any number of things...it looks like you have really soft water? (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that) which could mean your pH may fluxuate more than it should. Try testing a sample just fresh out of the tap....then dechlorinated and sat out for a couple hours...then maybe overnight...and see what the differences are (if any)

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
froggy...yeah thats what i thought about the filter media..but it says im supposed to change the carbon filter pad every month or so. I have the Eclipse biowheel system and I dont think the filter pad is supposed to be reused...?

I do have soft water..but I will perform those tests to see if anything interesting pops up..

thanks

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I have an eclipse bio wheel on my 29 gallon. In the box it has a spot for two of those filter cartridges. You do not want to just throw out the old one and add a new one. Move your old one to the back slot and put the new one in front. Leave both in for a week before throwing the old one out so that the new one has time to catch bateria from the old one. I personally 1) would not change the old one until the tank is fully cycled and would rinse it in water from the tank in a bucket. Never rinse in tap water, the chlorine in the tap water will kill the bateria instantly, and 2) think that the recommendation of changing the filter pad once a month is too much - they want you to buy more. I keep mine in as long as my readings are still good. But that's just me.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree...most filter cartridge packages say to change completely once every month or two...thats total bunk. I rarely if ever change my filter cartridges completely. I might rinse them of good but I change them probably once every 6 mos to a year.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
good advice discusgrl...

My puny 3 gallon system only has room for one filter so i dont know how i can rotate the filter pad...

maybe I can try rinsing out the sludge and gunk on the surface of the pad??

damn..i wish I knew about this scam before I purchase 10 filter pads..!

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
oh wait...what about the filtered activated carbon thats in these filter pads/media?

dont they get "used up" eventually and cease to work afterawhile? My system is set up so that the filter media and carbon are integrated...I cant remove one without the other..

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
yeah mine's the same. Carbon is really only supposed to be used to remove impurities from the water - like medications after treatment. I would just rinse the pad in some water during a water change. The visible stuff is not the bacteria. It's solid waste that the biofilter must first reduce to liqiud and then convert through the nitrogen cycle - therefore rinsing it takes more load off of the nitrogen cycle.