high ph?

Aug 18, 2006
hello everyone, i just bought a water test kit. I tested my water and it was at 8.0. It seems fairly high. my ammonia nitrite and nitrate is at 0. I also tested my tap water which is at 7.6. Is there something wrong?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Nah. 8 isn't a problem. Messing with your ph is way more likely to make your fish sick, they'll adjust nicely to 8. Do you have any fish in this tank yet? When did you set it up?
Read the stickies here in the beginner forum, they're great; you'll learn so much that will help you.

BTW, welcome to the tank! :)

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
yeah, dont try to mess with it (espiceally with chemicals) unless you are experianced enogh to be able to balence CO2 injection or use peat moss.

i also have a high ph (8.1) but i have no problem keeping touchy fish like wild caught Dario dario.

cheers

-Java

Aug 18, 2006
My tank has been cycled already. I currently have 2 balloon mollies 1 guppy, 3 cories and a pleco which just died this morning for unknown reasons. I have a 10g tank

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Igor The Cat said:
yeah, dont try to mess with it (espiceally with chemicals) unless you are experianced enogh to be able to balence CO2 injection or use peat moss.

i also have a high ph (8.1) but i have no problem keeping touchy fish like wild caught Dario dario.

cheers

-Java
Arrgh, ye water be setup nicely for African cichlids matey!

Echo...echo. Don't try to adjust it to much..you can easily adjust it but the best thing to do is keep it stable and aclimate your fish well.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
sh1ftgear said:
My tank has been cycled already. I currently have 2 balloon mollies 1 guppy, 3 cories and a pleco which just died this morning for unknown reasons. I have a 10g tank
Interesting. Um... could you please explain to us how you cycled your tank, and how long it has been set up? (Also, have you read the beginner stickies especially in regard to cycling your tank?) Just trying to help. :) Everyone here wants to see you succeed in the hobby.