Hitchhiker problem.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
well its been about a month since i got my cheato (thats when everything went wrong...). i dont really think theres a mantis in my tank since theres not many places it can hide.

how fast does it take for a mantis to grow to at least 3"? thats probably when i'll be noticing him...

im also planning to take everyone out and purging the tank.

i also got some hydroids...how can i get rid of them?

oh and i also have this hydroids medusa thing floating around...turns out theres 2. one already attached it self to the LR. very active little guys...

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
Finally a mantis related thread, It all depends on the species, there are over 500 known species of mantis. Most saty under 3 inches and alot stay under 1.5 inches. What makes you think you might have a mantis anyways? And to answer your question, it can take about 1-2 years for a mantis to reach 3 inches. and even if you had one it might not reach 3 inches.

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
do mantis molt?

anyways when i did a water change it kicked some stuff up a little. i found a maybe a 1/2" or 3/4" shell molt of wat appeared to be a millipede...

any ideas or should i try to fine it and get a picture?

if that thing is still in there then it must be a sand burrower.

i got about a 2" sand bed the surface has a nice dark coral line to it now.

i thought it was a mantis because of that shell. now i took a closer look at it its just a millipede thing...

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
I think he was taking precautions(sp). Every reefer worries about getting a mantis in their tank. If you hear the occasional clicking sound, your hermits might be falling off of the rock work and hitting the glass. Could also be a rattly powerhead. And the chances of getting a pistol is more rare than getting a mantis since pistols burrow and mantis(small smashers) live in cavities and holes in the rock.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
lol dang thats a long time ago.

lucky you.

well mine is like a millipede...cuz of the shell thats floating around.

anyone have any ideas what it might be? before i start tearing down the tank and inspecting every inch of it...

btw thats the best wat to get rid of hydroids without killing the LR?
im pretty sure its hydroids now but its not the kind that branches out.

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
those things in the sand are just worms, harmless worms. sometimes pods dig tunnels like that in the sand too, like little burrows.
coolwaters- how millipede-y does this shell look? is it long like a worm or short like a pillbug? segemented? any pics of it?

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
I sure hope you don't have a mantis. Aside from identifying it by sight, you should look for missing hermits but lots of shells. Clicking noises.
Does the molt look kinda like a praying mantis and a millipede?
PICTURES are worth a thousand words.

As for the hydroids... try a turkey baster or a syringe and suck them up off the rock or wherever they may be. I also remember reading somewhere of using a kalk blast just like majano killing :)

The last picture posted is most likely a spaghetti worm... if it sends out two thin opaque tentacle arms and the body seems to have two shorter rows of stubby legs....sp. worms... harmless.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
I doubt the molt is a mantis based of of their behavior. When a mantis molts you wont see or hear it for 7-10 days. They also eat their molt and keep their molt insided the rock they are living in.