hmmmm what if ??

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
HI
just a theory here.... what if maybe one day... i acidentally smashed a hole in the fish tank like in the middle ?? what WOULD i do ?? would i have to turn everything off ded quick and then get a bucket to get the water or just kinda .... erm.... i dunno, anyways, what would you do ??

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
well, the tank glass would likely shatter from the pressure of the water shortly after the hole was made.

so I would start by calling your insurance company......... while you run around scooping fish off the carpet and try to toss them into another tank

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
That would suck. The glass might shatter depending on if it was tempered or not. Id turn everything off, get the fish and plants in buckets or somehing, and mop up the water and broken glass, then tear it all down.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Having done this in a second floor flat , I can assure you you run around like crazy. My glass did not shatter, it had a big chunk along the frcture line torn off/out, and left about 4 inches in the bottom.

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
Balance said:
well, the tank glass would likely shatter from the pressure of the water shortly after the hole was made.

so I would start by calling your insurance company......... while you run around scooping fish off the carpet and try to toss them into another tank

would the insurence company cover that i know mine wont thay dont cover water damage from aquaairums and other water holding devices it evens says that in my policy. and im hard pressed to get anyon to insure for that kinda damage here in uk

Mar 25, 2005
i would unplug everything, then run to get some buckets to catch the rest of the water then get a wet vac and start sucking water out of the carpet and get some fans to start to dry it all up with. then after that i would rent a carpet shampooer and get busy befor it starts to stink.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You're much more likely to crack your tank than bust a hole in the side, unless you're playing around with an air rifle in the house. Most blows to the tank are more likely to tip it off the stand than make a hole in it. Moving a tank while full will likely crack it or break a seam.

It's a good idea to make sure you always have a couple of buckets available for an emergency. Square plastic storage bins are good too (as long as their strong enough), and you can put a filter on the side of them, too.

If you don't have a wet & dry vacuum, hope that you have a lot of towels hanging around ;)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't quite recall, but I cracked it at the top, and the crack propogated down pretty darn fast, and then blew out.
But the glss did not shatter. It broke along 3 or 4 distinct cracks

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
CUTLASS: Wow, good thinking with the sink! You'd have youre fish all cleand up, while I was just standing there in that Maculley Culkin, home alone face slap pose.

WAYNE: how'd your fish deal with that? Did they act timid after returned to water, or did they forget by then?