Holey Moley Live rock Treasure hunt.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
So i just bought a single pound of live rock because i felt like randomly impulsively buying something, and it's turned out to be worth far more than that.

I got 2 brittle star's (that i can see) and one fan tube worm.

The brittle star fish are pretty small, how quickly do they grow? will my clowns or hermit crab go after it?

Whats the deal with fan tube worms, do they grow quickly?

Attachments

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
1) that is not a feather duster...instead it is the dreaded pest anemone aiptasia. i reccomend you get rid of it ASAP. DO NOT cut it or dig at it or scrape it off...then you will have a ton of them...instead invest in a bottle of "Joe's Juice" and follow the directions on the box

2) not sure how quickly the brittle stars will grow but your clowns and crabs won't mess with them; they are good little scavengers

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
DAMNIT I WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT FEATHER DUSTER!!!
no big deal though, i've read there's natural predators for these. Because i've never seen joes juice in any lfs near me...but i assume i can get it off the internet. Perhaps a peppermint shrimp for a short while?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
yah ive tried lemon juice as well, not nearly as effective. peppermint shrimp and coral banded angels are both options, but the coral bandeds tend to die easily in captivity and the peppermint shrimp dont always go for aiptasia...its all about Joe's Juice

http://www.joesjuice.com/ this website lists dealers so maybe you can find one locally and if not they are running free shipping for first time buyers right now

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Yeah, that's a glass anemone and they will spread fast so I've heard. I had 3 of them when I first got into SW and thought "hey cool" until I asked my LFS. They gave me a tube of under water appoxy and told me to cover it over with the appoxy. This will smother it, not allowing it to come out to feed and will then starv to death. This meathod you do not have to worry about pieces of it being spread or left behind. Just make sure you spread it all around so it has no way to get a food supply. It's been a year and a half for me and I have not had one since.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i dont want to contradict the fact that you need to remove it ASAP, but i had 3-4 aiptasia on a rock that came w/ my leather coral that i let live in my nutrient high tank for over two weeks...then i slaughtered them with joe's juice
i also attacked them with a knife and saw no reproduction (this was before the joe's juice)
moral of the story: Joe's Juice will kill aiptasia/majano anemones