honey gourami...

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Anyone know how to sex them? I just bought a "red honey gourami" today and id like to know its sex, however im having a hard time finding any concrete information on how to sex them....any help would be greatly appreciated

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
i dont know about all gouramis, but generally, ive heard that the female is less colored than the male. in your case, i would say its a male, however i could be wrong. Next, in case that isn't the case, with most fish , the males bottom fin, by its butt, is pointed, and the females is slightly more fanned out. I am aware that it is rather difficult to get a hold of a female gourami. It is still possible to beat all these chances, but i wouldnt say it is likely. i hope i helped

Lorazoo

Medium Fish
Jun 18, 2006
If yours is colored I would say its a male. the hard part with honeys is sexing the ones that have no color. they look like females, but i found out the hard way that they can be males that are subduing their color. they will do this when stressed or when in a tank with too many males (such as in the pet store). But, if you see a bright colored one you are pretty safe in assuming its a male.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I have red flame gouramis....the male is very red/orange and he is quite big. The two females have no colour...more of a silvery/grey. The edges of their fins are a slightly tinted yellow. And they are quite small. I don't know if its the same for honey gouramis but its likely.

Also, from my experience you have to actively look for a female gourami. Its not likely you will end up with a female buying randomly at a petstore. They tend not to stock females because they aren't as vibrant. When I was searching for females I called at least 10 stores...none had females, but offered to order them in. i found females by accident...one store was selling female/male pair on special. It's a lot of fun having a group of females with a male.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Since mine is very colorful i guess im going to assume he's a he...but he's just so pretty i want to call him a she...oh well. Thanx for all your help!

Now i just need to name him...

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Like Jennifer said, most stores stock Males, so you have a better chance of picking up a male than you do a female.

Because of the look of the coloring, I think you have a male there. But then, that may just be the flash playing tricks on me. :eek: