Honey gouramis color variation

Ripnhammer

Medium Fish
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site

I saw fish in my lfs that resemble the top fish in the picture. The ones in the store looked sorta plain but the bottom one is beautiful...could someone explain why there is a color variation and what i should look for in the store if i'm buying some

also, do they like being in schools?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
That is probably a female gourami. They will be grayer or browner than the male.

Gouramis do not school, but females will tolerate each other's company. Males will generally fight, although honeys are dwarfs and aren't quite as territorial as the larger gouramis.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
The top honey gourami is a female and the bottom one a male. As you can see the males are lot more colourful than the females. Gouramis do not need to be kept in schools. A male and female pair is normally a good choice to have in an aquarium although the male may harass the female a little.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
A male honey gourami with no nearby females will have a honey colored body, with a lighter face and head.

In a store, they may be a bit faded because of cramped conditions or the stress of moving, but they should color up nicely in a home tank.