Hood question

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
No.
Hoods like that have a clear plastic section (the back half) upon which the light strip rests and a lid section (front half) that allows for feeding, etc.

If you're thinking plants, go with a Versatop, which is two pieces of glass that are hinged in the middle. Light strips rest on top of the glass. For feeding, all you need to do is move the front lightstrip and lift the front half of the glass.

Hope this helps.
BV

Sep 19, 2006
the piece in the back that the light is sitting on is glass not plastic

they aren't very sturdy though, and I would agree with BigVine in that if you are going planted use the type he suggested

I do have this type on my low light planted tanks, and it does work, but for the money.........you're way better off getting the glass tops and setting lights on top of that :)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
sclabman,

Which tank did you have in mind for this---the 'upcoming' 100 gal.?
Either way, you should be able to fit one light strip along the back half and one along the front half. I'm not familiar with the dimensions and lighting available for that big a tank, so you'll need to check into that for more specifics. ;)

What I can tell you is that the Versatop on my 38 gal. (36" length) allows me to place two dual-bulb strips (one in the back; the other in the front).

BV

sclabman

Large Fish
Jan 21, 2007
L.A.
yeah it's for the 100 gallon i'm getting.
i think i want it to be a densely planted 100 gal. with some loaches and a school of neons or raspboras and some angels or discus... my questions have been answered though, thank you :)