Hopefully there a pair!

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Well here they are.. I was reading a article and it says you can sex them by their 2nd fin.. Males are supposed to be longer.. Never heard that before but hopefully its correct! Don't mind the algae lol..

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Bangaiis are often succumb to stress even bringing them home in a bag can stress them enough that they die. I lost 3 before I finally ended up with my pair. I recently lost one of the pair and am at a loss how to remate the survivor. I may just move him/her to the 29 and get another pair for the 75......then again I may soon upgrade to a 125g which will be fowlr......so we can have a more aggressive mix of fish so maybe I will just stay with what I have now. Is your intent to breed these guys Jim? If so you may want to set up a separate hospital fry tank.....

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If they're hanging out together, it's a good sign.

I don't think it's that they lose their second fin, it's the banner bit at the top that often gets nipped off by other fish.

The lady at our LFS swears that the females' faces are more gray than black. She did pick out a pair for us, so I'm inclined to believe she's right.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
If indeed they are a pair and start to breed, I do wanna try to raise the fry.. I have an empty 10gallon that will get set up in this case and can get baby brine or can just hatch my own.. Only time will tell though.. Thats interesting Lotus.. I will have to check in a bit to see if there is a color difference or not..

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Just remember that if you try to catch the male while he is holding you may stress him and he will spit the eggs prematurely before they are ready......