horsehoe crab need info

Yazoo1970

Medium Fish
Apr 29, 2005
Hey i just came accross a good deal i had a friend that was breakin down his tank and he gave me his horseshoe crab it is about 4 inchs around he sure is a neat addition to the tank but i know little about them and he has already stuck me with his tail while i was removing some old seaweed so i guess i have learned they will poke you. but is there anything else i need to know that i will not find in the book. like do i need to feed one this big the guy i got him from said he didn't feed him but he had a diifrent type of fish than i do he had a shark and a moray in his tank and i know they waste alot of food not like my little fish thanks for the info

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
They eat mostly copepods, bristleworms, and the like. 4 inches in diameter is going to cause you problems (probably) because they dig under the rock and reduce the foundation that was originally there. Mine is only .5" in diameter and he makes a lot of the rock work unstable.

Good luck though. they're awesome to look at.

Yazoo1970

Medium Fish
Apr 29, 2005
Yeah he has already been pushin some stuff around all of my base rock was put in before the sand so it is real stable and i have about 90 lbs of live rock in there now so its pretty solid i hope

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You can put frozen foods under the sand and they feed that way...make sure to have a lot of open space because they do get large and need the room to scurry along the bottom.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Man I want a small horseshoe crab bad! I've never seen one at any of my LFS. Saltwaterfish.com has them for $7.89 (1"-2") but you need to spend at least $79 before they will ship live goods. Son-of-a %#@*&! :mad: