Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Hospital tank - whats that!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i have a small 5g tank i have on stand-by for a hospital tank. when i get new native fish, i typically hold them for ~2 weeks to get them acclimated to eating processed food and make sure they are free from ailments. if and when i have a problem, i'd use the hospital tank to treat the single fish. i have a catfish in my tank so i have to be careful with meds. however, i am currently treating my 10g tank with melafix for scale loss of one of my sunfish.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I have a small plastic 11 litre tank that I keep some Guppies in that doubles up as a hospital.Just has a small sponge filter.
I always buy from the same shop which always buys from the same dealer and I've never had any trouble with them.The only time I bought from a different shop I had unexplained deaths,both Coryies I bought died within a week.I stick to the same shop now.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I have a 5 gallon that's always ready to take patients. I also have several 2.5 gal betta tanks that I sometimes use for QT for the small fishies. Makes it easier to observe them if they can't get too far from you. :D

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
I would have a hospital tank if i had room for it. Besides, I'm not sure about how I'd keep it cycled and everything while its not ossupied. So its a combination of laziness and lack of resources with me. But I figure, if a fish has something, then everyone else in the tank is exposed to it regardless, even before it manifests itself. So there is some sense in treating the whole tank. Its not very economic in that sense, i agree. But ehh...

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
angel51431 said:
I would have a hospital tank if i had room for it. Besides, I'm not sure about how I'd keep it cycled and everything while its not ossupied. So its a combination of laziness and lack of resources with me. But I figure, if a fish has something, then everyone else in the tank is exposed to it regardless, even before it manifests itself. So there is some sense in treating the whole tank. Its not very economic in that sense, i agree. But ehh...
I keep small whispers on my larger tanks and then put them in the QT along with water from the big tank so there's no need to cycle. :)

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
I had a "hospital" tank but it is not enough obviously. I had classic 10g. One of my dwarf puffers got huge injuries from his dwarf puffer family members. He was recovering occupying the whole tank for more than a month. Since he is so tiny i could not put anything in with him. But when need arised with one of my cichlid, the cichlid was already so big that 10g was not good enough. Now what i am supposed to do - buy 20g to hospitalized my cichlids (and there are only 2 of them)? I'd rather treat all 2 of them... just in case. I reached the point. I'm not going to buy anymore fish for fun, so i moved the dwarffer back to his "friends" into 29g, bought 4 black mollies (1 male and 3 females) and put them into 10g - will feed their babies to my JD once in a while. That's it. I have no room for hospital tank and I swear I won't buy anymore fish in nearest furture. I have enough fish. One fish that is sick is too big for 10g. And I cannot buy another 20g tank. I'd better invest into new 100-150g (when ?). *twirlysmi
Conclusion: hospital tank, where are you when i need you? and why you are not inflatable? *twirlysmi