hot pink filter foam?

Aug 28, 2007
my husband was changing our filter media this month, and upon removal saw that the foam layer was HOT pink. what might cause this? is it anything to worry about? thanks in advance.

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
Do you have any pink decorations or gravel? My cousin had an orange aquarium safe decoration in her tank and it turned the water orange. That is the only thing I can think of.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I had some black foam that turned white after just a few days. I never could figure out a cause from anything variables in the tank, so I decided it was cheap foam. This had been the first, and last, time I had used that type of foam and my best guess is that had been dyed to look better. It sure didn't seem to bother the shrimp at the time, but I didn't like the idea. Not saying this is what happened to you, but this is the only time I've heard of such a thing to such an extent.

Aug 28, 2007
thanks for the replies. nothing has changed in this tank since november. the gravel has some pink stones but not a ton, and this was the first time that the foam ever turned pink. the food idea definately sounds likely. we have a variety of different foods we feed them, but there may be some pink food in there.

Sep 11, 2012
The same just happened to me. I changed the foam (white) a few days ago. Today I pulled out the carbon filter to check the foam, and it was HOT PINK! The fish are fine and there's no sign of pink anywhere else (blue gravel) so I don't understand what's happening.
Any ideas?