House being sprayed for bugs

Oct 7, 2003
Orange County
nba.com
The company is saying to put a damp towel over the tanks.

But they are asying I need to turn my filters off is this necessacry it doesnt affect if the stuff gets in the water? They would need to be off for 4 hours.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Oh wow thats scary. Did you ask them why a damp towel? The fish will PROBABLY be ok with the filter off for 4 hours...but I dont understand why they'd need you to turn them off. I get nervous even spraying cleaner around my tanks...let alone spraying for bugs. I guess a suggestion of moving all the fish into buckets for the day isn't really doable for you eh?

Trying to think what I'd do in your situation. I think I would invest in some duct tape and some type of plastic to completely cover the tank with. There will be limited oxygen in the tank itself...so if you're going to be in the house up until they start spraying and then there as soon as its "all clear" then I'd think you could drop the level of the water down in the tank as far as youre comfortable with (say 1/2way) then seal the tank up good and then be sure to turn your filters back on and fill the tanks back up asap. I'd also put your buckets/nets/fishfood and any other equipment somewhere that isn't going to be anywhere near the bugspray...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would first consider asking whoever is in charge of spraying (landlord, I am guessing) if they can not spray your house.

If they do, some suggest covering all tanks with Saran wrap to make sure air doesn't get in or out. Others suggest putting an airpump outside the house to pump clean air into the tank.

Whatever you do, get some fresh carbon to add to the filters to remove any pollutants, and do a water change as soon as possible. Your tanks seem reasonably stocked, so it shouldn't be a problem to have no filtration for a few hours.

Jeanna

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
We had to bomb our house one time, and all we did was put blankets over our tanks. Didn't do anything with the filters, but they were covered too. We didn't have any problems at all. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to turn off the filters if that's what they suggest.
The plastic wrap sounds like a good idea too though. *celebrate
Jeanna

Oct 7, 2003
Orange County
nba.com
The house has to be sprayed, its my parent house.
I still dont understand why the filters need to be off if it is covered? The filters are just moving water not taking in air. If I did need to turn off filters do you think I should turn off the power heads too.