How are shrimp introduced?

chichian

Medium Fish
Jun 17, 2005
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Today I found what look like a little shrimp in my filter media (scrunched in the floss, it moved when I dumped the floss that's what caught my attention). I put in a cup of aquarium water and looked more closely. It looks shrimp like definitely, is about maybe 1/3" long at most and looks kinda like the drawing of the "Fairy Shrimp" at http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/crust.htm. I got a not so good picture attached, I don't think I can ever get a good enough picture to ask for help with identification though.

How would this get introduced to the aquarium and should I put him/her back in? I've fed frozen brine shrimp before and I didn't think they could ever have eggs hatch in FW.

Thanks.

Attachments

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Small shrimp often become food for bigger fish. I keep Amanos and ghost shrimp in one of my tanks and the fish in there are peaceful towards them. I feed fish in another tank ghost shrimp for food, so I keep them both as stock and as livestock, so to speak. I doubt the shrimp came from the frozen shrimp you have been feeding, it more likely came in accidentally on plants or with fish you purchased. I would drop him in and hope for the best, expecting the worst.

chichian

Medium Fish
Jun 17, 2005
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Thanks, hopefully he'll make it. I still have him in the cup as of this morning, just changed out half the water and added some duckweed. I'll put him back in near the hornwort (so he can hide better) when I get back home. It just freaks me out since I don't believe in spontaneous generation anymore :).