How bright for moonlights

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I just built a new moonlight fixture with 8 white leds and 8 blue leds controlled with a switch. This way I can turn one or the other off. Do you think they are too bright? I have 8 blue led fixture on my tank, but it's not as bright as my new one. Tell me what you think.

White and blue lights are on

All lights are on

Blue only

White only

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
You can sand the dome of the bulb to give it a more spread out angle, but I didn't want to do that. Maybe for my 3rd edition i'll try that. My next one will have dimmers wired in. LEDs are a little tricker to dim and you actually use a timer to turn off/on the lights quicker than the eye can see.

Yes, they were cheap. I got them from HID Kits & Neons - underbody kits, LEDs, cathodes, hid kits.
- Lights were about .50 per LED. I used the 3mm bulbs I think, but you can get bigger ones.
- Resistors were .05 for wiring in parallel. If you wire in serial with a series of 4 lights you don't need a resistor.
- I stripped apart a phone cable and used that. You would use maybe 22 or 24 guage wire.
- switches were $2 a piece
- I had the wood just laying around.
- 12 volt power supply that has enough mA to power the LEDs. Each LED uses 20mA.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i guess i don't understand how you hooked the switches up and powered it, could you just use a plug for say a camcorder or nintendo and cut the wire mid way and hook it up to the leds after you wire them? and put the switches in the middle or something? im pretty handy in construction just not this part lol..