How do I breed pirhanas?

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
I have 4 red belly pirhanas and would like to make some money off of them because there hard to find, and in large demand around here.What do i have to do???Please help

Last edited:
i was searching online and i found an artical on Pirhanas... this is what a pirhana owner wrote...

"My own experience with a piranha bite (which required 3 stitches) happened while transporting the fish from one aquarium to another (1973). The fish bit through the net being used to transport it, then landing in my hand. The bite was painless but bled copiously. It is for this reason the home aquarist should carefully handle their fish. It was the only time I have ever been bitten and it will be (hopefully) the last time. The pain itself lasted for about 6 months and took long for me to be able to bend that finger freely without pain."

oh dear, how about trying to breed friendly goldfish :)

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
lol..thats a good story...when i was purchasing my largest pirhana(about 6iinches)he jumped outta the net,landed flat on the floor.When they got a hold of him,he broke 2 large bags. :)

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I don't know for certain- but usually when they ban a species in an area it's becasue they have found individuals that people have dumped, and fear that the species will get a foothold. Like what happened with snakeheads- introduced species, especially predators, can do a ton of damage to an ecosystem. Although Washington State? I can't imagine a pirhana could survivve a winter there.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you think you're going to make money this way , think again. Your costs and time spent will far outweigh a 100 dollars or whatever

LydiaGreen

Medium Fish
Sep 16, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
brit_s86 said:
true.It just made me think,cause I dont know of anywhere in Canada that there illegal.....any who,back to helping me with breeding :)
Probably the same story as with ACF's (african clawed frogs). They are banned in the southern states because if they got into the local ecosystem they would prey on the indigenous species. We can have ACF's in Canadian provinces (yes, I'm a fellow canuck) because in most places, if they did get into the local ecosystem, they wouldn't survive (it's just too cold). Likely the same issues with piranhas. I can see the appeal to having piranhas though - wanted to buy myself a breeding pair from an LFS that was going out of business in another town - but, no tank big enough to keep them humanely.