How do I clean my filter media?

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
The parts for my fluval arrived today which brigns me here with the question of 'How do I clean the media that has sat in salt water in the filter for the last 5 months? It's Bio Matrix rocks and I don't wantr to replace it if I don't have to (funds are v. tight) Or do I even need to clean them? Wouldn't they still be loaded with benefitial bacteria? The water wasn't stagnant or green.

I fast reply would be really appreciated because I'm eager to get to work on this.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
confused. Did I miss a thread about the fluval breaking...or are you switching it to FW or why do you need to clean the media? I dont know any reason you can't just rinse them in dechlorinated water (SW with the right SG if its staying salt)...

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Are you looking to clear it off for flow reasons or are you switching it to a different tank? If its just for flow you can just clean it in tank water (from water changes) and just do it that way

Jul 29, 2005
OK. My fluval went out of action a good few months ago, and when it did I just turned it off and removed it from the system while I ordered the parts to fix it. I didn't remove any of the media or water from the filter and it has sat like that since. I had just cleaned the filter the day I broke it, so that water that has sat in it was freshly made SW. As I said, it doesn't appear stagnant, green or smell bad.

So now that I have the parts to fix it, do I need to do anything with the filter media that has sat in the water for 4 or 5 months, or can I just fill her up and plug her in?

Hope this makes sense, and thanks already for the quick replies.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd definitely rinse it all off before putting it on a tank. There's probably no bacteria alive on it still because there hasn't been any water movement which means no oxygen or food delivered to the bacteria...

Jul 29, 2005
Thanks Foxy. I impatiently figured the same thing. I've cleaned the inside of the filter, and all the baskets and everything and I'm now running it using a bucket and some SW from the water change I'm doing. I think it should be ok. My tank going downhill has been a big niggle in the back of my mind. I'm so pleased to be getting back on the right track.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
anyways you bio-media will give you the nitrifying bacteria, so less ammonia and nitrite but at the end it's gonna give you a nitrate reactor. Is that what you want ? I had some when my tank had not much live rock in it..just in case, just to help...but always had 15+ ppm of nitrates. When i added some rock, bye bye bio-media and bye bye nitrates.
The LR alone should ive you both nitrifying bacteria AND de-nitrifying :)

Jul 29, 2005
Things are looking much much better already. With the fluval parts that came today, it is operational again. I'm still using it as a return from the sump which is now also up and running. I'll have to invest in a pump at some point but I don't think I'm causing the fluval any damage. I've replaced the carbon (thanks Wayne - I swear I can see the water getting cleaner as I type) and I've given some more rockwork a scrub. I've also used a powerhead to manually blow any remaining detritus from the rocks so that my filters can do their work. I haven't done much of a water change yet. I've taken 5 gallons out and added about 17 gallons back in, and now I'm out of salt. Ugggh!
It's such a cleaner look with everything in the sump and out of the sight. Tomorrow will be much of the same I think, along with aquascaping. I need to ask about moving my anenome but I'll do that in a new thread.