How do I get rid of this??

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Hi I was down at my tank this morning and took notice that the top of my tubes for my UGF I have some brown algea started, and I have one little spot on my heater, at least it looks like brown algea. How can I clean them up. I do not have any algea eaters, I had 2 otto cats and 2 days after I bought them they both died, and haven't bought any algea eater since.

Thanks for the help

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Where it's at its kinda hard to get to and I know I cant get a scrubber in there it's at the top of my UGF tubes where the 1 X 1 inch square is there where the bubbles come out. My other tube is fine now because I put a power head on, but its on my other tube. I didn't know if snails or any other type of algea eater would munch at it. Its not a lot but I can see it, (and don't like it)

Thanks again

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
For tough to reach corners (geez I sound like a commercial for a new toilet bowl scrubber ;) ) I use my hand inside a fish net and gently scrub the algea off. Works great!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If it's in the tubes, you can either use a new toothbrush (cheap at the 99 cents store) or get some brushes from the LFS that are designed for cleaning tubing on cannister fiters. Or, if that part comes off, you can soak it in hot water.