How do i know that my tank is cycled or not?

Guanchy

Medium Fish
Jul 17, 2013
New York
hope all is well,

unfortunately i bought my tank from Petsmart a few months ago and i didnt cycle my tank because i didnt know anything about it. (I'm fairly new to the hobby). And the people that work there suck! i think i know more than them and i dont know a lot. seriously!

Ive been reading a lot about it online but i cant really understand how to do it. My LFS told me that my tank should be Cycling on its own. (but im not sure about this)

i kept buying fish and they kept dying after a few days and i didnt know why, until i read about cycling i guess they died because my water wasnt good.

i have a few neon tetras and cat fish in my tank now and ive had them for a while so im guessing my water is better than before.

When i tested my water these were the parameters:

PH: 7.6
High R PH : 7.4
Ammonia : 0.25ppm
NO-2 : 0ppm
NO-3: 0ppm

and im not sure what High R PH and the NO-2 AND -3 are, any idea?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
All you need to be concerned with is the Ammonia - which needs to be zero and does NO2 which is the nitrite. The nitrate should be about 20ppm and when you see some you will know your tank is cycled (assuming the ammonia and nitrite are zero. You really need to do daily partial water changes (25% - 50%) anytime your test shows either the ammonia and/or nitrite.

Feb 27, 2009
What sized tank to you have and how long has it been set up? What is your maintenance schedule?

What catfish do you have? Can you post a picture? Sadly, a lot of fish stores sell fish that are not suitable to be kept in aquariums long-term.

We hope we can help you complete the nitrogen cycle and keep happy/healthy fish.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Gaunchy, given the parameters you listed, you're not cycled at all. Like said, a properly cycled tank will process all the ammonia (and nitrites).

Fish will die from ammonia and nitrite poisoning during the cycling process if you don't do lots of water changes during the process to get it out of there.

If you have access to any healthy, established aquariums, a cup of gravel from that tank or some biological filtration media from that tank would speed things along for you big time. Those items will have lots of beneficial bacteria living/growing on it's surface.

Other than that, if it's a brand-new tank w/out fish, you can fishless cycle by adding household ammonia (with no dyes, perfumes or surfactants) and lots of water parameter testing. That process can take over a month and can be tricky, but you can't harm any critters that way.

Guanchy

Medium Fish
Jul 17, 2013
New York
ohh thanks a lot! i did a 50% water change last night and my the ammonia (i just tested it) and it went down to 0.

should i keep doing daily water changes eventho its a 0?

Guanchy

Medium Fish
Jul 17, 2013
New York
its a 15g tank. Its been running for 3 weeks now. I had it for a month then all my fish died because i guess the water was bad so i started from the beginning again 3 weeks ago (i shouldve probably not done that, but i didnt know anythng about cycling until i read about it a few days ago).

I have an esmerald cory cat fish!(i eventually want to get a bigger tank and i read that Cory needs to be in groups, so im planning on getting a few more once i get the tank in a few months. Right now i dont have the space. I actually got the fish that i have now from a local fish store because i heard is better to get them from there.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
G, you never did say what size tank you've got (makes a huge difference), but yes, daily water changes is ideal for doing a fish-in cycle like you're doing. If this is a 10gallon or smaller, I'd do 50% WC's daily.

Light stocking (low number of fish) is important.

Regular water parameter testing is important too.

Feed the fish VERY lightly and even every other day until you are cycled.

**EDIT** looks like you slipped in the tank size while I was posting :).

Guanchy

Medium Fish
Jul 17, 2013
New York
What sized tank to you have and how long has it been set up? What is your maintenance schedule?

What catfish do you have? Can you post a picture? Sadly, a lot of fish stores sell fish that are not suitable to be kept in aquariums long-term.

We hope we can help you complete the nitrogen cycle and keep happy/healthy fish.

here is a picture of it!

i appreciate all the help! u guys are awesome!!!

Guanchy

Medium Fish
Jul 17, 2013
New York
G, you never did say what size tank you've got (makes a huge difference), but yes, daily water changes is ideal for doing a fish-in cycle like you're doing. If this is a 10gallon or smaller, I'd do 50% WC's daily.

Light stocking (low number of fish) is important.

Regular water parameter testing is important too.

Feed the fish VERY lightly and even every other day until you are cycled.

**EDIT** looks like you slipped in the tank size while I was posting :).

yeah i shouldve cycled it before adding the fish if i wouldve known. smh. thanks FreshFresh :) u guys have been of great help!