how do i know what fish to add?

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
man, i am gettin tired of flushin $20 bills. i just got some fish the other day and i am pretty sure the shrimp is dead, or he molted and is hiding, didnt actually find a body, just some leg scraps. but the royal gamma basset is dead. the golbie is hiding in the back, and the other 2 fish that i dont know what they really are are also hiding. only the clown fish and coral beauty are out and about. is there like a guideline of fish that are EASY to care of and like attention? is the problem that i am too afraid of actually buying expensive fish? the only fish i buy are usually less than 20 bucks because i dont want them to die. maybe i will just switch back to fresh water!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
If your water parameters are all good then it is probably a matter of compatibility and perhaps acclimation. You need to research before you buy to make sure the fish you get are sustainable in the long term in your tank and will not be combative with your other fish. A statement like "the other 2 fish that i dont know what they really are are also hiding" is pretty indicative of what your problem is. For example, depending on what the clowns are specifically you could very well have a pair of very aggressive maroons killing everything you add; alternatively, it might be ocellaris clowns which will leave everything alone.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Another note, adding a bunch of fish all at once can and probably sent your system into a cycle as the added bioload was too much for your tank to handle. I would re-evaluate what you are adding, giving ample time between additions for the bioload to adjust and making sure what you HAVE added is healthy and getting along. Another note, any additions to what is already in there should be quarantine prior to addition so you are not introducing pathogens into your main display tank. Flush a couple of those 20's into a couple of good books.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Well...cleaner wrasses would be a really bad choice anyway so it is good they are not. You still would want to figure out what they are for sure before you buy. The books will be a valuable investment.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
try taking some pictures of them and we can id them for you. Even ocellaris clowns can become defensive of staked territory though mine seem peaceful enough, it is my 6 line wrasse that is the bully boss, him and my yellow tang. I notice you have 2 engineer gobies, they tend to get very large and can move a lot of substrate around, they may also conflict with the diamond gobie, who is hiding out. Though they do tend to disappear into their burrows they make for days at a time so maybe he is just in the building mode. The angel should be fine but will need to be watched if you add corals. Study up on the fish you have, don't add anything unless it is quarantined and let things settle before adding any other livestock