how do i know when its ready for fish?

Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
okay well ive had my saltwater tank set up since tuesday. its a 10 gallon and i have 4 lbs of live rock in it. the other day i bought a pair of 10 watt flourescent bulbs to go in the tank.

my question is, how do i know if my tank is ready for fish?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
give it atlest 4 weeks, if not more, with such a small tank there is very little room for error, so i woul dprolly cycle for 6 weeks before i put ANYTHING in, patience is a virtue.
Brahm

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wait, wait and wait some more. You can do the stock tests, ammonia and so on, but you need patience. If you can put in some more live rock and avoid putting any fish in for at least 6 weeks you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.
When you start a live rock tank it takes time and lots of it to stabilise. Various waves of growth and death take place in this time. Have you had a diatom algae bloom yet - no. Any green algae yet - no . No cyano yet no. All these things will happen in your tank, and it is best they happen in a tank with no fish, as it makes the inevitable algae blooms so much easier.
So accept you'll be a while without fish. Do some reading , and enjoy the lifeforms on your live rock. If you get bored add a small shrimp. It sounds tough, but believe me it's worth it.

Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
the rocks that i got from the store were already in a big 100 gal tank with a bunch of gobies, a WHOLE bunch of crabs, a tomato clown, and he has a bunch of coral in it too. so im guessing the rock would be cured if he had it in a tank with all that life in it.

im still probably gonna wait another week or two to get a fish. just to be safe. i picked up a 3 and a half lbs live rock again the other day and put it in there, they didnt shake it off so i got 3 hermits and a emerald crab for free that were attached to the rock, and theyve been in there since saturday and they are doing fine so i think its comin along pretty good. im gonna give it a couple more weeks and then ill buy some type of fish