How do i lower my hardness

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
If you dont know omaha, nebraska's water hardness is terrible. I have fiquered out why most of my tetras die almost instantly, the hardness. THe hardnes is 7+ (very hard). i know how to raise hardness but i do not know how to lower it. Please help

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
It's lot harder (no pun intended) to make water softer than it is to make water harder.

You need to purchase softened water or a water softener or if you're really fancy a reverse osmosis (RO) filter to make your water softer...

Best way I've found is to go to the grocery store and buy bulk RO water from the grocery store <using their in store RO filter> (it's fairly cheap) and then mix that with city water...

Fish and plants generally don't like water that is 0d of hardness (RO water). So it's good to add some city water in there so they can get some of the minerals they need.

You'll have to experiment what ratio of city to RO water you need to achieve the degree of harness you wish.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Not quite sure what your saying there Jayrod.What is your KH/GH?Add the two for total hardness.I think mine comes out at something like 220ppm.

1 dGH/dKH=17.9ppm.

I think there are water softener pillows you can stick into your filter.Not sure how effective or worthwhile they are though.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
kh? gh????

i just used a dip stick (you dip the stick in the water and it tells you what your hardness is). how much of the special water do i need to get for my 29 and my 2?

im realy confused

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
kH
Carbonate hardness or temporary hardness. Measures the buffering capacity or the ability to absorb and neutralize added acid without major changes to pH. Think of buffering capacity as a big sponge, the higher the buffering, the bigger the sponge.

gH
General hardness (GH) refers to the dissolved concentration primarily of magnesium and calcium ions. Other ions can contribute to water hardness but are usually insignificant and difficult to measure. When fish are said to prefer "soft'' or "hard'' water, it is gH, not kH that is being referred to. gH will not directly affect pH although "hard" water is generally alkaline due to some interaction of gH and kH.

Here is a good web resource that has everything you ever needed to know about water hardness...

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/chemistry.html

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I think I need a new test kit.*laughingc rofl*laughingc .Added 30 drops for GH and it still didn't change colour.:eek:

My KH is 4 though.Probably a bit low.