How do I make rocks safe for aquarium use?

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
I've collected a few rocks that I think would go nicely in my 55 gallon tank. The problem is that I found them in a great big ditch behind my house. How would I go about making them safe to put in my tank? I've heard of boiling rocks but otherwise I don't know what to do.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Put a drop of vinegar on each rock - if the surface fizzes - don't use that rock. It means it will slowly dissolve and affect your water.

If it doesn't react to vinegar - simple dry out the rock thoroughly in the sun - this will kill off any bacteria on said rock (well, most of it anyway), and give it a quick scrub to clear the rock of algae or moss/dirt etc.

Other than than that - you're pretty much good to go.

I think boiling is a bit of overklill myself (just my opinion) although it does guarantee no snails or other hitchikers, but a good scrub and a bit of sunlight should take care of that anyway.

Take great care in how you place them in the tank though, you really don't want them falling over in there - it's tempting to make walls out of them and stack them to look good and make caves etc - but if they do topple it can be a real disaster - so play it on the safe side.

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Thanks Purple. :)
You certainly don't have to worry about these rocks toppling over. All of them will be firmly planted on the sand. Some will be just for show, and others will be used to anchor my hornwort to the ground so Ying can hide in it. (I moved my violet goby to the 55 gallon tank) The rocks are black and smooth so they'll go nicely with my black sand and won't be damaging to Ying's soft body.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Dragon...

Seach MFT for driftwood there is a Stickie on it i think. Simple answer to driftwood is boil wood until water runs clear. May take hours to days to complete. I do boil for four hours then put wood in cold water overnight and boil four hours next day, i do this till it comes out with water clear.

Rocks... Thanks for info purple. Question to tack onto this thread...

Could you glue rocks together with some cauk or something tank safe to hold them in place?