how do I soften water using r/o water

schoch79

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2006
Right now I have a freshwater aquarium with danios, rams, and plants. It has been set up for about 3 months and has been cycled. The water is very hard, alkaline and high ph. I want to soften it by doing a partial water change with r/o water. Is this safe? I read somewhere that the fish and plants need some of the nutrients in "normal" water and I'm afraid that by changing the water with r/o water it could strip all of the good stuff from my water and leave the fish and plants with not enough nutrients. Any help will be much appreciated.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
When switching water types, you need to know that plants will re-adjust as well. Plants will acclimate to their new enviornment, so they may die off, but once acclimated, they will be fine.

I would use 80-90% RO and 20-10% tap. This should provide enough calcium and magnesium. Fish may re-acclimate, but they tend to fare better than plants do.

Oct 10, 2006
Ogden, UT
My tap water runs at a ph of about 8.5+ and extremely hard. I experimented mixing ratios with r/o water and testing until I found the ideal mixture. I brought my 55 down to that level gradually and didn't lose a single fish or plant. If your fish are healthy now, I would recommend changing the levels gradually over 3-5 days at least for the best results.