how do you get grass in your tank?

Oct 19, 2006
California
do you have to implant it? or buy lots from the store.. because i do see grass in tanks but, its only a small bundle. does it expand? or grow longer? i am planning to make my tank to have more plant life.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
I have dwarf hairgrass i believe in my tank i will research exact name and let you know. I can tell you this it is a very slow grower in my tank, I have had it nearly five months and only see a few new runners from original bunch of blades. I am not expert on growing techniques but it is the slowest of my plants to grow. I was told it would spread like other ground cover and send runners out and to spred faster you are supposed to thin them out along the tank, but i don't have enough grown in to spread out so i leave in the corners they are in for now.

stump283

Small Fish
Jan 18, 2006
If you add live plants to your tank how do you clean the gravel without disturbing the plants? I ahve 3 goldfish and I am getting 2 snals in the next weeks what type of plants should i add?

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
stump283 said:
If you add live plants to your tank how do you clean the gravel without disturbing the plants? I ahve 3 goldfish and I am getting 2 snals in the next weeks what type of plants should i add?

Would be more than happy to answer your question but dont hijack another persons post, make your own topic to get the answer to your questions.

Now for the answer... to clean gravel with plants if you only have a few it is simple gravel vac areas without plants and hover around plants area. If it is heavily planted like mine, i do one side per week, How i do it is by hovering the vac above rocks and swishing back and forth to disturb debris on top of gravel cleaning the surface.... the stuff under the surface is good for plants so i let it be, in the open areas of my tank i will stick the vac in and clean gravel there. With plants you want a little dirt in the bottom to help feed the root of plants IMO.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
stump283 said:
:( Don't waste your money; my goldies eat *everything*, even java fern! No plant I've ever put in their tank has been stiff and pointy enough or nasty enough to keep them from snacking it to oblivion.

You do have, like, a 30 gallon tank or bigger, right? :)