how do you vacuum ur gravel?

J.B.

Small Fish
Oct 18, 2006
xtr1gunf00lx

Most WalMarts have started selling the Python kits, and they are usually cheaper than the chain LPSs. The Python is very handy, in that they hook directly up to your faucet, so it eliminates carrying heavy buckets of water.

Make sure when you refill your tank, you treat the entire capacity of the tank with dechlorinator, not just the amount you put back in.

J.B.

CA_Peg

Small Fish
Sep 25, 2006
J.B. said:
Make sure when you refill your tank, you treat the entire capacity of the tank with dechlorinator, not just the amount you put back in.
JB - Ohhhhhh, didn't know I was suppost to be treating the entire capacity of the tank. I kept wondering why the freeking measurements were based on 10 gallons when most of the time I'm only putting 3 gallons or so of water in at a time!!! Geeze. Thanks for the lightbulb.

Peggy

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I'm curious as to whether it's entirely safe to introduce chlorinated water directly from a tap at any point at all.

But I assume that the reason the whole volume is treated, is because the dechlorinator is naturally going to dilute in the whole volume of the water in which it's introduced.

In other words, if you have 10g and you're changing out 5g, and you only add enough dechlorinator for the 5g - once the water volume reaches a total of 10g the dechlorinator will then be at half strength.

Then again if the ppm of chlorine in the total water volume is only half as much, you might only need half the amount of dechlorinator to neutralize it...so I'm confused as well. But I'll say this - if I'm taking a risk as crazy as adding any amount of fresh, unaged, chlorine or chloramine-laden tap water directly to my tank, you'd better believe I would dose that system at full volume strength.

Last edited:

CA_Peg

Small Fish
Sep 25, 2006
I don't add the water straight from the tap to the tank though, I add the declorinator in the bucket as it's filling and then dump it in...so does that work? I have never had problems...so I guess I'll continue what I was doing. That system that hooks to the faucet would require the water to go in untreated...so that would make some sense. Don't think I want that system.

Peg

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Yeah you are doing it right. It’s always best to dechlor before you add water, but if you do use the python system, you should add prime or amquil at full strength for the whole volume of the tank after you have pulled out the amount of water you want to change, then start adding the tap water.

I think the python system is nice, but I don't like it for a couple of reasons; You have to add chlorinated water directly to your tank, even though there is a dechlor in the tank, there are a couple of mins that the water will not be dechlored. If you have fussy fish they don't appreciate it as much. Another thing I don't like about it the PH flux. A lot of tap water comes out a different PH than it sits at after a night or two. That's why it’s a good idea to age your water before you put it in. My tap comes out at 8.4 and settles down to 6.8 over night. That’s a wicked swing for a fussy fish to go thru especially with larger water changes. The smaller the water change, the smaller the flux you will see.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I only add dechlor for the amount of water I"m replacing and I use a python. I've never experienced a pH swing with wc's 50% or less and I've never had a tank 're-cycle' from not putting the dechlor in before I start replacing the water. The only problem I've had with the python is that sometimes I forget I"m refilling the tank and end up with a flood in the livingroom :s