How do you...

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
What is the proper way of placing fish into the tank. I read the stickies but I did not get a straighforward answer..

~Chaz

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
In Ecotank's thread:
There are several methods available for transferring fish from shipping bag to tank:

Dumping fish straight from bag into tank is probably the worst method.

Floating the bag in the water for 15 minutes then releasing the fish into the tank, water and all.

Netting the fish out of the shipping bag and putting it into the tank.

Dosing, where you use a dose of AmQuel and NovAqua (a capful per ten gallons or ten drops of each per gallon) added to the receiving tank and a small squirt of each is added to the shipping bag as soon as it is opened, the net method is used from that point.

The use of a quarantine tank is highly recommended, especially for established aquariums.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Personally I like to float the bag, every 5 minutes or so scoop a half cup of tank water into the bag. Then after 20 minutes or so I'll either net the fish out of the bag and transfer to tank or pour them into a net and put them into the tank because I dont want any nasty pet store water in my tank.

If it was an overly sensitive fish or I knew it was coming from drastically different water conditions I'd mix in the new water more slowly.

tubbs24

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
USA
I do the same method as froggy does. Floating the bag in the water, then every 5 min. or so add some water from the tank into the bag.....but I do mine for a much longer period (between 45 - 60 min.) since my pH is so high.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I use Froggy's method with sensitive and marine fish. The others just get floated for temperature adjustment, and then I pour the water out of the bag through a net to get the fish. You shouldn't ever put the shipping water into the tank.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
for me,ill put them with the bag into a little bucket,then ill take a tube to put my tank water slowly,about 5 minutes later ill put the bag float about 10min,later ill put them in the net.