how dropsey begins?

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
Does dropsey happen all over the body all at once or does it start in a little area? I am thinking if it is internal liver failure, that it would be the whole body showing symptoms.

I ask because I have a betta who seemed to have a legion/wound in between it's eye and gills, with a little white patch on it. Thought it was ich but I think that the white is indeed from a wound, merely puss, and not ich. There are no other spots on this fish, all my fish are healthy, and this specific fish shows no signs of ill health (eating like a pig, sprinting around the tank, not rubbing, completely normal behaviour).

So I go on the internet to look up disease, start being a fish hyperchondriac, and notice the legion /wound kinda poofs out with a bit of the pine cone looking effect.

I want to rule out dropsey so I can stop freaking out. Can I do that? I squirted melafix in the tank around the betta. It seemed mad that it wasn't food. It was a bit useless as the tank is 30g and I don't have enough melafix to fit the proper dosage.

Perhaps the betta tripped and bumped into a rock or got too close to an algae waffer the others were eating.

Just changed the water today, I change it every week or two depending on time. So this all maybe because of water condition. I noticed the wound before the change.

Ammo= 0 n02=0 no3=something low I don't test gh or kh. tank has been cycled and stable for about a year. I raised the water temp from 78 to 82.

thanks for information:)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Dropsy almost always affects the whole body cavity. If he has a problem only on his head, it's not dropsy. It sounds like he has a wound that got infected, or a small bacterial infection. Definitely try to keep the water clean (extra water changes), or isolate and treat him.

You should check that there are no sharp objects in the tank that could have harmed him.