How effective is an hang on overflow box?

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I'm looking into the design of overflows, and I find it hard to believe that it will give me as much filtration as something sucking the water closer to the bottom of the tank.

I thought most of the waste is on the bottom of the tank anyways?

Does anyone run an overflow, and did you see any difference when switched from a regular filter to an overflow?

Thanks again for your help, its pricesless!

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
Last edited:

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Igor The Cat said:
Yahoo, i think he means an over flow to a sump or trickle filter like this CPR CS50 Overflow Box - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store
That is the exact one I'm looking at ordering. I'm setting up a sump for my new tank, and I'm really hesitant in taking away from space for the fish, so I don’t want to set the overflow in the tank. I don't mind drilling as long as the tank was at least 50g.

How does it circulate the water as much as a hang on filter? Currently I have a penguin bio wheel I planned on putting in the sump along with another 30G filter that came with the tank. I'm just worried that I will get less filtration because my tank is tall and it’s only going to be sucking what’s coming off the top.